CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barb

5th January 2010, 23:23
Who has won the pens in The Sunday Times or the Books in the Saturday Jumbos ?
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt

5th January 2010, 23:28
I take it that this is a serious question. Over many years I've won several pens in the Sunday Times xword, and Mephisto quite a few times. In fact on one occasion I won pens in two consecutive weeks; I thought they'd made a mistake at first, but no, it was quite genuine.
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

the joker

5th January 2010, 23:28

In view of the holidays I think they will be held over until this coming weekend.
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

barb

5th January 2010, 23:34
Yes, it was a serious question. I won the fountain pen in Sunday Times about a year ago. I always use a very flamboyant envelope. Could do with the Jumbo books now.
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

the joker

5th January 2010, 23:39
That must explain my lack of success over many years.
Does anyone know approx.how many entries are received for this crossword?
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt

5th January 2010, 23:46
I only ever use a plain white envelope - no fancy stuff, and print the address in capitals. I believe I read somewhere that they get about 400 entries on average for the cryptic xword. If you do the genious monthly on the Guardian website, the xword editor writes a monthly newsletter, and usually gives the number of entrants for that.
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

the joker

6th January 2010, 00:01
Thanks for the info.AJT. By the law of averages I should have won somewhere in the region of 4 or 5 pens,jnstead of zilch!
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

les 39

6th January 2010, 00:17
I won the Sunday Times pen in Jan 2002 when it was 18 carat gold, just before they changed it to silver. If there are only 400 entries (approx). then we all still have a chance.Good Luck !
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

6th January 2010, 00:27
About 40 years ago I won The Saturday Torygraph crossword two weeks running. In those days the prize was a twin-pack of playing cards! I also won a copy of Chambers 10th edition a year or so ago, but never any pens. No Wee Stinker T-shirt either, cause you've got to finish it first and I only manage that about every other week.
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

les 39

6th January 2010, 00:35
The prizes are few and far between guys, but keep it up because apart from the S/Times 2002, I won the Daily Mail in 1994.(£10 book token) and The Daily Express last summer (£100), and I send about 5 crosswords a week...Thers hope for us yet!
10 of 22  -   Report This Post