CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

star

3rd January 2010, 11:58
english tv channel. 4 letters?????
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

johnt

3rd January 2010, 12:16
Doesn't mean anything to me either. I've got ?i?e, but that's not much help either.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

rob

3rd January 2010, 12:30
I can only think of FIVE - Channel Five!! But it's hardly a cryptic clue!!
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

erica

3rd January 2010, 12:31
five
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

star

3rd January 2010, 12:33
I've got ?i?e too, and did the rest pretty quickly. What could it be? Eire is my only thought...but why?
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

mike

3rd January 2010, 12:39
Could it be side ( I believe it\'s only We English that refer to channels as sides) - Five doesn\'t seem very cryptic.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

robtherich

3rd January 2010, 12:40
I settled for VIRE (to channel money) but I haven't any justification for it; 'twas just to see the grid complete!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

johnt

3rd January 2010, 13:15
I think I'd go for Mike's suggestion. In the UK, we did / do refer to TV channels as 'sides' - presumably from the days when there were only two.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

mike

3rd January 2010, 14:56
Definitely side - I've just learned that English is a technique for imparting side spin in billiards:

http://www.pool-and-pocket-billiards-resource.com/english.html
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

rob

3rd January 2010, 17:32
Now agree with Mike (#6 & 9)it\'s got to be SIDE! Didn\'t like the answer FIVE I gave in Post # 3 ~ not cryptic!
Having just seen Mike\'s post saying \'English\' is a term for putting \'side\' on a snooker ball have confirmed this by checking in OED ~ according to definition it\'s a term used in USA (also Canada & Australia) for such a stroke! And as previously said we do/did refer to TV channel as \'side\' (What\'s on the other side? etc.) I reckon SIDE it must be.
Thanks for the info above.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Observer