CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

steve

30th December 2008, 17:25
1.Shows without a lot of celebrations"(6) -E---S
Could be REVUES perhaps, but I can't see why.

2. "Bar festive offering"(4) -A--
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

30th December 2008, 17:30
Hi Steve,
The first one is REVELS,i.e.Reveals minus the A
Jerry
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

steve

30th December 2008, 17:53
Many thanks Jerry. I'm working on the last clue now, but I think I'll break for tea and return with a re-fuelled brain!
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

30th December 2008, 19:16
Hi again Steve,
Have given some thought to your last clue,and I
wonder if the answer ought to be GOLD,I know you
have an A in there somewhere,but bar is a bar of gold as in one of the offerings of the Magi.
I don't know if this of any use to you,please
post if anything else occurs.
All the best for the New Year,
Jerry
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

steve

30th December 2008, 20:00
Hi Jerry
Thanks for trying, but I'm pretty confident about the "A". The clue was "Gathering winter fuel loads, if for this classic film" (3,1,9,4), to which I have entered It's A Wonderful Life, being an anagram of "winter fuel loads if". Anyway, I'll keep thinking and come back to it tomorrow.
Happy New year to you too.
Steve
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

30th December 2008, 20:06
No2 is CAKE. A bar can be a cake (as in cake of soap),and cake is a festive offering.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

steve

31st December 2008, 20:31
Thanks Terry. I think you are probably right. I'm confident about the A and the E and cake is probably the most likely of the possibles, though I don't often hear "cakes of soap" referred to these days! Happy New Year to you.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

pete

3rd January 2009, 15:36
How about FARE? Christmas fare refers to the food etc often offered at Christmas. What do you think?
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

steve

3rd January 2009, 15:53
Thanks for the suggestion, Pete, but whilst Fare is certainly a festive offering, I can't see the bar bit! Rightly or wrongly, I prefer the Cake answer and have now completed the crossword with that one.
Happy New Year whatever!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post