CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kitabu

10th October 2013, 17:51
Scandinavian singer is a long time going round Norway. Answer: Agnes

Clearly 'ages' going round 'n' (Norway) but who on earth is this Scandinavian singer called Agnes? I thought perhaps a member of Abba but she's called Agnetha. There is apparently someone called Agnes Carlsson but she is a frothy europoster who had one hit single in the UK and that was in 2009. If it is this Agnes who is being referred to, am I the only one who thinks a one-hit wonder from 4 years ago is an obscure clue, to say the least. Or am I just showing my age?

What are your thoughts?
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

10th October 2013, 17:56
I agree, but I fear she's the one they mean (important enough to be in wikipedia)!
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

mamya

10th October 2013, 18:01
Whilst I agree she is relatively obscure, I also agree it must be she - perhaps a little more than a 'one hit wonder' though to give her credit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Carlsson_discography
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2013, 18:04
Do you not think that "compiler error" (AGNES for AGNETHA) is more likely?
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

kitabu

10th October 2013, 18:07
Your're probably right Mamya, I'm being a little harsh but as far as I can see apart from one single which reached number 3 in the UK charts nothing has risen above the number 40 slot.

What I find aggranoying is that it's perfectly possible to construct a nice clue for 'Agnes' without having to resort to this sort of thing.

But I also realise that if I was thirty years younger I would know exactly who Agnes is and this wouldn't be remotely an issue. Ah well...
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2013, 18:09
I was thinking "God's girl?" for Agnes - see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_of_God
6 of 6  -   Report This Post