CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

matthew

23rd December 2009, 07:59
Hi
Cruel 10 letters "a"re""""e

Make 4 letters n " t"

Ta
Matthew
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd December 2009, 08:18
Hi Matthew
It is very hard to visualise the answers with """""'s - a question mark for an unknown letter works best for me(that is just me though)

could the 1st one be Oppressive ?
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

matthew

23rd December 2009, 08:31
Hi Trevor

Thanks for that. Appreciated. The letters i think are right are ? a ? r e ? ? ? ? e
These come from enAct (set in motion - 5)
Royal troon (links golf course 5-5)
obreE (Graeme flying scotsman - 5)
serviettE (napkin - 9)

On the other clue the N comes from immineNt ("in the pipe-line - 8") and the T from exhausTive ("thorough"- 10)
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd December 2009, 08:39
set in motion - might be impel??
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

matthew

23rd December 2009, 08:42
Hi Trevor

I need more practice at this asking for help thing. The E in enact comes at the end of Accrue for (accumulate - 5)
The T comes at the end of Peewit for (lapwing - 6)
I do like impel though. I need to find something for accumulate ending in 'i'
regards
matthew
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd December 2009, 08:53
my fault - trying to shoehorn the wrong answer(Oppressive)into your grid. All your answers seem good to me, wait until some other people get up and they will solve it.
Merry stuff
trevor x
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd December 2009, 09:03
one last thought,
set in motion - start?
best of luck.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

ajt

23rd December 2009, 10:00
I think the answer for "cruel" must be "aggressive" - not very good, I think, but I did look around for this on an earlier thread, and couldn't find antthing else that was at all apt. Again for "set in motion" (or whatever it was) the closest seemed to be "enact"
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

ajt

23rd December 2009, 10:06
Sorry - that was out of the top of my head - I was wrong with that word pattern. I've just looked it up in "Chambers Word Wizards" (web page) - there are only four words that fit that word pattern, and none of them can be remotely stretched to "cruel". Sorry
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

matthew

23rd December 2009, 10:16
Hi all

thanks for the replies. I usually manage to blag my way through the last clue but not this week. Annoyingly the tuesday crossword doesn't publish the results the folloiwng week so this is a quest that is set to rumble on. They'll probably use this cluse agin on the Boxing Day Xword.
I would like to fit REPRESSIVE in but that needs a word E?E?T for 'set in motion'. (not easy even if one thinks of 'set' in the past tense.

regards and merry xmas
matthew
10 of 13  -   Report This Post