CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

18th September 2013, 18:59
Hiya ginge,

Just read your post on CLUELESS, just to let you know that the https never works with direct copy & paste because the 's' is a 'security' measure and doesn't work on any direct linking service. Me and Syzzie discovered this a couple of years ago when I had trouble directly linking the Joint Effort from Dropbox and then more recently with the link from Gmail Drive. It's the same if you try and send in any format program such as via email or file documents. Redelf has shown correctly what to do,.
Just copy & paste as you did before and then just delete the 's' and it will automatically hyperlink

Les40
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th September 2013, 19:08
Thanks for that Les. If I had had hair before I wouldn't have now. I'm disappointed, since I've upgraded my phone, so now have a copy and paste facility.
I thought of awarding you the prize with the ultimate cryptic clue of not making any sort of appearance, I guess you're busy.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th September 2013, 19:11
Sorry to appear dim Les but why does it work from my draft which it was copied into originally?
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

trevor

18th September 2013, 19:16
is it just this site that doesn't recognise https sites as valid url's?
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

les40

18th September 2013, 20:10
It doesn't seem to work with email on my gmail account, however, good question, maybe it does work with other sending formats. Anyone know which though, maybe Syzzie can clarify more later.

Ginge, I was gonna send in a clue but didn't get to bed until very very late and decided to stay in bed all day so just missed out. It's my first day off of 5 days... at last!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

18th September 2013, 21:30
Two aspects here:

HTTPS will always work from your own computer or device. It's your link.

It won't work directly from this forum because their coding does not turn it into a hyperlink,
though Copy & Paste usually does the trick, if you remove the S first.

Some HTTPS addresses will only work for the owner because of the underlying SSL/TLS protocol.

It's a little complicated. Probably more than you wanted to know.

6 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

18th September 2013, 21:30

ginge

18th September 2013, 21:53
Thanks syzygy.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

syzygy

18th September 2013, 22:04
You're welcome.

Awarding Les the prize would have been a great idea.
Actually I thought RE had a winner right out of the gate with "I refuse to take part this week!"

Didn't realize it was a clue at first. 0-8>
9 of 9  -   Report This Post