CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

8th September 2013, 17:25
Completed everything but unsure about 10D:

For some, a braced framework extended luck (5)

It's either TRESS or TREST (dial. terms for 'trestle'), but can't make sense of the rest of the word play.

Also, I know what the answer to 7D is, because there are no unchecked cells, but I can't explain the word play:

Gemini as seen earlier, in the morning before (5)

CORAM.

I understand the 2nd half (incl. the def. 'before'), but don't see why 'Gemini as seen earlier' = COR.

1 of 26  -   Report This Post

gem94

8th September 2013, 19:52
(Trying to encourage people not to just give the answers, but just very gentle nudges,) for both of these, really careful scrutiny of the words you are unsure about in Chambers (assuming you have it) is necessary and will resolve your problem.
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th September 2013, 20:42
Demeter - for 10D look for a misprint in LUCK
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

demeter

8th September 2013, 21:04
Thanks gem94 and unclued.

Still don't get CORAM
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th September 2013, 21:32
Demeter - Gemini = twins (a pair). This is in Chambers as the second definition - an obsolete spelling of geminy.
I'm still plodding through this one.
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

barretter

8th September 2013, 22:31
Unclued - in my edition of Chambers (2003) the old (= "as seen earlier") version of "gemini" is cited under "geminate" and its only modern version is "jiminy".
I'm still struggling with the top third. Am I right to think that 2dn is also the name of an Italian town?
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

unclued

9th September 2013, 06:38
Barretter - not sure about the Italian town but I have a word for curassow inside IA. The whole thing is a lizard (monitor).
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

barretter

9th September 2013, 09:02
I was quite wrong then! although the Italian town is also a name for "a breed of laying poultry". Thanks for that.
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

10th September 2013, 15:01
I've got all but a couple of handful of answers (although im not convinced about all of them) and am stuck now. I suspect the clashing letters might be what's tripping me up.
32a Truer assent to lecture my lecturer (6 two words)
I have JA??H?
Have I got these letters right, and may I have a further hint, please?
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

barretter

10th September 2013, 15:55
"Truer" has a misprint and the phrase is not English but is in Chambers.
I have the title of the work but am still flummoxed by 30a, 33a, 34d, 48a and 44d where I can't find any words to fit around the letters I have. Any hints appreciated.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post