CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

8th July 2013, 13:01
Is it too early to ask for hints?
If not, please can someone point me in the right direction for 5ac?
I think it might be a kind of digestif but "bleeps"?
1 of 29  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th July 2013, 14:51
The answer is a near synonym for "digestive", nothing to do with digestif. It's "bleep" as in what a "bleeper" does. So the answer will be a synonym for "digestive" which has the effect of changing the word "patrice" to one meaning "bleep". Hope that makes some sort of sense. It did to me when I wrote the clue.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

rosalind

8th July 2013, 15:41
Thank you Peter.
Perfectly clear, still can't solve it. El thicko, me
I have, however, done 27dn
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th July 2013, 15:48
Needed that hint peterm...that's the device Azed is normally using when I have one left that baffles me.
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th July 2013, 15:54
It's one of peterm's substitutions, Rosalind. The answer contains "as" and you replace part of Patrice with a single letter.
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th July 2013, 16:45
You guys are on the ball.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th July 2013, 16:55
I don't really want any hints yet, but I have several "answers" that I would like confirmed (or otherwise). Do people think that a thread for this might be a possibility?
(Though it would be difficult for people to use it without seeing answers that they don't want, I suppose.)
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

rosalind

8th July 2013, 17:36
(Just returned from phase one, picking)
You could ask Les, chris, or start a thread for each one you want to check so no-one need see it who didn't want to.
I can't get any further without some hints!
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th July 2013, 17:47
I found the niners section especially challenging. If I had known that certain clues wouldn't have the usual crossers I might have constructed them differently, but that's bilge, as AB would put it (water under the bridge). Most enjoyable nevertheless.
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th July 2013, 17:48
Thanks for the suggestion, rosalind - I'll give it a try!
10 of 29  -   Report This Post