CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

28th June 2013, 07:25
I've noticed recently that most of the requests for help on Guardian crosswords have been met by answers rather than hints. I'm not sure if that is what the "requesters" were hoping for - the answers to clues are always available by using the "cheat" button" on the website:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crosswords
so if an answer rather than a hint is needed, this would be the first recourse.

Of course this does not apply to the Saturday Prize crosswords; I personally am not happy about answers being supplied for any "prize" crossword, though I am happier about hints - see a typical RT thread for the scrupulous way in which helpers try to avoid giving actual answers. (Discuss?)
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

28th June 2013, 08:13
Already been discussed many times on here and answerbank.
Unless someone specifically reuests "hints only" I assume they are after the answer. If they don't get the answer on here they will be sure to get it elsewhere.
There are very few prize crosswords where the answers being given is actually frowned upon.(probably onlt the Listener on answerbank) It's a matter of preference. If you feel strongly then don't give answers.
It should be said that a lot of people who are "just starting out on cryptics" greatly value help on here particularly if an explanation of the parsing is given, so we should be encouraging them.
Whether the same people should be sending in their prize crosswords is a matter of conscience.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th June 2013, 10:19
I take your point, SDL - but my point is that the ANSWERS to Guardian clues are always available at their website.

Perhaps requesters are not aware of that, though!

I agree that parsings are very helpful for beginners, but again for the Guardian (and a few other crosswords) these are available at fifteensquared.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

mamya

28th June 2013, 11:35
I have spent years on this and other sites trying to give hints, however the next poster always seems to jump in with the answer - so unless hints are specifically asked for, I will answer if I can.

Charity Quizzes are of course a separate beast.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th June 2013, 12:40
I'm sorry - I really seem to have failed to make my point clear! Another go - if someone simply wants an answer to a Guardian clue, wouldn't he/she go to the website and "cheat"? Hence requests here would be for hints rather than answers?
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

mamya

28th June 2013, 12:45
That can only be answered by the ones who use the Guardian site, sorry if I misunderstood - you are referring to one particular Crossword and not speaking in general.

It is possible as you say that they are not aware and simply do the puzzle with the paper in front of them.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th June 2013, 12:47
I'm pleased that we can agree at last, mamya!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

hendy

1st July 2013, 13:33
I now drop in here occasionally as the number of straight answers being provided made it too difficult to get just hints (or help - see the rules). Giving an answer is not help in my view. However it's up to Ash Young or an appointed moderator to control this.

The Guardian doesn't have allow Comments for its prize crosswords but doesn't ban answers on its Monday to Friday puzzles. There are self-appointed, priggish, and bossy contributors whose comments make them seem like members of an exclusive club.

This is difficult one. I don't like answer-giving and regard it as merely showing off and off-putting.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post