CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redcoral

27th June 2013, 15:22
Not sure whether you read the Times but in today's edition on page 5 might interest you! It seems scientists are looking for people like you!
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th June 2013, 16:50
hi redcoral: I've been out all day and this is the first time I've logged on to the forum. I only buy the Times on Saturdays, so am intrigued to know what kind of person they are looking for :)
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

redcoral

27th June 2013, 18:11
The article is headed "Crossword addicts enlisted to help science solve the ultimate puzzle"
It begins "like some steak? We will put on barbecue eventually (4,4) If you know what that means, then Minot only is the answer appropriate to you, but the University of Buckingham might be interested in having a word.

They are investigating what makes a good cryptic crossword solver ...... etc etc. the article takes up most of page 5 with a photo of Morse (John Thaw) with a Times crossword!

I think the first part of my message may not have got through as it gives the clue to solve.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

redcoral

27th June 2013, 18:14
Just re-read it & it should not say Minot but just the word not. Sometimes my iPad has a mind of its own!
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

mamya

27th June 2013, 18:26
I prefer mine rare.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th June 2013, 18:40
Well, I've got the answer as "well done" which I am sure others on here will confirm. There are some talented solvers on this forum (and elsewhere) but I still have my "L" plates as far as cryptics are concerned and whilst some may finish in minutes, I am usually still puzzling at the end of the day ! ;)
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

redcoral

27th June 2013, 23:38
That was the answer! However I think you are correct when you say that there are a lot of talented people on this site & may be they will have also read today's Times! I'm hopeless at cryptic clues which you can solve & the article was about people whose minds can solve cryptic clues ........ Certainly NOT me!!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

redcoral

28th June 2013, 19:01
The letters page in today's Times follows up with a letter headed "Cross words" it's not very complimentary as the writer says " looking around my place of work, the attributes of a top cryptic xword solver are obvious: advancing years, questionable dress sense & a slightly grumpy demeanour ....... That certainly doesn't sound like those on this site !!!!
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

redcoral

29th June 2013, 12:16
Not sure if you picked this up yesterday, but another letter on the subject has come in today on page27 of the Times.

Sun is shining here which is great!! The rain did water all my newly planted plants so was welcomed!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th June 2013, 12:19
I did miss your post. I will have a look in the Times later when I get lunch. It is gloriously sunny here so I will be eating in the garden
10 of 10  -   Report This Post