CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

16th June 2013, 21:16
Have you ever seen A New Leaf? Elaine May plays a socially inept fern expert. Hilarious. Perhaps they show it at fern-lovers' conventions...
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th June 2013, 21:57
Hi aristo

Alsophila grahamii - yes indeed!

Walter Matthau at his best - "she's unscrewing the Montressini!" was the regular cry of an art teacher acquaintance of mine.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th June 2013, 23:11
I hadn't seen it in ages and watched the first hour or so on TV a couple of nights ago; I was roaring.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th June 2013, 06:17
I've seen it lots of times - one of my favourite films (and not just for the ferns).

"Carbon on the valves" is a frequent explanation in our household when something stops workikng.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

17th June 2013, 13:19
"Carbon on the valves" sounds like a case for "change the screws"; my grandfather's favourite remedy.
He was an apprentice of Charlie Parsons and later designed whole electrical systems for ships.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

emrach

17th June 2013, 17:37
Hi ChrisE

Hope you enjoyed your holiday North of the border and the weather was kind to you.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th June 2013, 17:46
Thanks, emrach - we did. Harris is a lovely place and the weather was mostly kind. We found one (yet to be confirmed) new record for the Western Isles and another only the second record.
Scenery of Harris and the west coast of Lewis was fantastic, and the Callanais (as it now should be spelled) stone circles and the Carloway broch were also very impressive.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

emrach

17th June 2013, 18:38
Glad you had a good time I have heard they are stunning. Sorry but I don't know what you mean by new record - is it something to do with ferns?

8 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th June 2013, 19:25
Yes indeed, emrach - it was ferns (sigh!!!)
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

emrach

17th June 2013, 20:59
Well a new record could have meant two days without rain !!!!
10 of 12  -   Report This Post