CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

16th May 2013, 20:26

les40

16th May 2013, 22:15
Hiya Syzzie,

Thanks for this, here we go again!

Not sure if you know but I've noticed that your links are giving very faint copies of the Harpers grids with the text difficult to read (anyone else having the same problem)
Thought it was maybe my printer going on the blink but aristo has sent me a direct link and it's printed out perfectly clear, maybe a scanning problem at your end that you're not aware of mate?

Be good, Les40
2 of 52  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

16th May 2013, 22:38
Thanx, U 2 on the other side of The Pond. My copy's OK, les. Will have a go at it when visitors permit!
3 of 52  -   Report This Post

syzygy

16th May 2013, 23:04
I see what you mean. I printed from the Dropbox link (fuzzy) & from my own folder (clear).

Strange, it's the same file, & the size (154 kb) is the same.
Aristo sent me the file & and I saved it to both places. No scanning involved.

Just opened several files directly in Dropbox. Earlier ones are fine, but from April onwards, they are fainter & Adobe has an error msg at the top:
"This PDF might not be displayed correctly."
Viewed in Firefox.

No error when opened in my computer folder, so I suspect some disconnect with Dropbox, possibly a different version of Adobe reader.
My latest update was v 10.1.7 on the May 14th.

I'll check again in a few days. Thanks for the heads-up.

4 of 52  -   Report This Post

les40

16th May 2013, 23:41
No probs Syzzie, gonna have a look through the clues now (late again) . The shaded square looks interesting, don't understand it yet, hopefully things will unfold soon enough.
Ah! Just got first clue in, 2d... Here we go again guys
5 of 52  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th May 2013, 00:05
It's another quickie. The shaded square is bewildering until, you know, you see it. Some charming clues.
6 of 52  -   Report This Post

syzygy

17th May 2013, 00:24
Haven't tried it yet. Might need a nice break from the Speccy - another Magoo mind-bender.

7 of 52  -   Report This Post

les40

17th May 2013, 01:58
Finished the Harpers, again, a couple of Americanisms, but easy to find.
Got the letter in the middle (thank goodness)

NB: The answer to 40d isn't in older versions of Chambers (11th Edition) but is in later (12th Edition)
I know this because me and AB had a debate about this word a long time ago. I couldn't find it because I don't own a 12th Edition but AB assured me that it's in the 12th.
Penny drops = 6d, 34d
Favourite clue, 13a (Americanism) New meaning to me

Night all, Les40
8 of 52  -   Report This Post

syzygy

17th May 2013, 05:18
An easy puzzle, even with the so-called "uncommon" words. The Americans must like them "common".
No offence, Aristo. I know you also find the NYT rather boring. Bring on the Brits!
Their puzzles are chock-full of words I have to verify with Chambers, et al.

The central square popped right away. Considering it's a June puzzle, favourite month for what's going down, & time of year for what's going up. However, don't see how the title relates. Any ideas?

40D - not in my Chambers either, but NOAD (New Oxford American Dictionary), Wiktionary, & Wikipedia attribute it the "The Simpsons" TV show.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh
Always though it was a Jewish interjection, because I'm sure I heard it on "Seinfeld" years before, but can't find it.

@Les, are you sure you meant 13A? If you're referring to LIE (vi), it's not an Americanism.
LAY (vt) is more common, & misused, as in "I like to lay on the couch." Horrors !

Stars for 11A, 36A (also from the clue), 44A, 1D*, 9D, 21D, 23D, 34D, 42D (see 13A note).

*1D & 7D - déjà vu - those clues have been used before.
27D - not happy with TEN clued as the letters IO.
38D - mismatch with plurals in the clue.

Overall, not bad. d-:
9 of 52  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th May 2013, 07:07
Hi, Syzygy, if you're still up: I've just risen to discover the Pyr. are still there!
Just wanted to say, there's quite a lot of help with the fantastic Magoo puzzle on that CS thread, but if you still need a push, ask! When you've finished you can only admire the incredible structure of the thing: quite an achievement, I feel!
And now to get down to H's 1a.
And this time we can even send it off!
Do you know if Aristo's already finished (or did he already say so)? Probably......
Have a drink on me at your midnite!
gk
10 of 52  -   Report This Post