CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

7th May 2013, 11:18
Good morning friends. Here are today's clues. Hope they provide some thought and fun. Good solving! J

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Provoke anger by situating the cattle supply in storm centre (6,3,4)

2. Lifts man from despotism to democracy? (4)

3. Steal lead to pay for a metal-shaping tool (5)

4. A musical chamberpot (bound) with three unusual works (5.8,3,5)

5. Most guttural talk coming from that oik rattles, unfortunately (10)

The clue below was originally my no.5 but I felt it a bit unfair without having a few “crossing letters” so I replaced it with the above. I leave it for your perusal and will supply a few 'crossers' after 5, if necessary.

An additional one.
US alumnus’ curse could result in a quota restricting the number of students entering an academic institution (in Rome?) (7,7)
1 of 43  -   Report This Post

andyc

7th May 2013, 12:04
Hi Jolan, think I've got 2 and 5 but I've got to go out and do the garden while the weather holds!!!
2 of 43  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th May 2013, 12:14
Yep Andy! Me too. I'm going to do a bit of hoeing. I remarked to Helen, last week, that I thought she was a great hoer. For some reason, she will not do any gardening now?

They say the rain is on the way but think it's tomorrow.
3 of 43  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

7th May 2013, 12:26
Hi, Jolan! For various reasons I haven't been able to visit you, so to speak, for some weeks now, but at first glance today I got your additional one first, so might be motivated & find the time to stick at the regular 5 later! Must get a bit of grub first, though. My wife (being German) manages to work 12 hrs a day in the garden whatever the weather if I don't stop her! We have had so much rain & sun lately, the grass & weeds threaten to take over the bungalow on the hill very soon: help needed from a man stronger than me! CU later perhaps!
4 of 43  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th May 2013, 12:38
Hello, Jolan. It's beautiful here- perfectly clear skies. I'm having major computer problems but will try to get to this. Thought of quality control and sausage factory for your bonus, but for the time being will go with stunned silence.
5 of 43  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th May 2013, 13:16
Just peeking in.
Good day Ari and GK. Yes Ari, the weather here is also beautiful (North Wales) but expecting the usual rain/wind tomorrow.
Well GK! I haven't learned yet. I thought the 'bonus' was a bit unfair to include BUT I shouldn't have. The stars of this excellent site are too good. I'll 'throw' an occasional obscure word or phrase in in future, from time to time.
When I started 5@5 (seems like years ago) a regular (Terry) advised me to avoid words as answers, which had to be "researched". I've tried to do that. Wonder where Terry is nowadays?
Back to garden now.
6 of 43  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

7th May 2013, 13:29
I didn't MEAN to post 15 times! And I managed to delete all 15 instead of 14 so post repeated here. Norah

Greedy Kite said
Actually maybe I recognized it at once because it has always been a very controversial measure in Germany, so for a teacher it was common parlance.
7 of 43  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th May 2013, 13:38
:))
8 of 43  -   Report This Post

andyc

7th May 2013, 13:47
Ha ha your persistence has worked GK.....I believe I have the additional one now.
9 of 43  -   Report This Post

emrach

7th May 2013, 13:59
Afternoon Jolan

Yes sunny here in Glasgow after a bad weekend so I have written the clues down and will look at them while I am sitting in the garden. It is certainly better than looking at the garden it is so untidy :)
10 of 43  -   Report This Post