CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geoff marbella

6th May 2013, 14:53
school accountants finally permit small audio file to be downloaded (8)

?????S??

got nothing in this top right corner hoping this will start me off
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th May 2013, 16:43
Hi Geoff!
If it were files (plural) then how about:-

school = pod (whales?); accountants = cas; finally permit = t; small= s; giving PODCASTS = audio file(s) to be downloaded ?
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th May 2013, 17:00
well done Jolan, it should be files. The puzzle is here (1st time i've seen this one).
http://bigdave44.com/crosswords/prize-puzzle-may-2013/
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th May 2013, 17:11
Thanks Trevor.
When I clicked on your link, I found I did not have Java (TM). I was going to download a Google - Java plug in but, since I've never had need of it before (and because I'm a bit of a lazy git) I didn't.
Best wishes.
J
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th May 2013, 17:28
Maybe a wise move Jolan.
java have had some security issues for a while now. in my browser it now defaults to 'disabled' so that you have to 'allow' sites that you trust.
if you are interested, there is a pdf version here,
http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/MPP/MPP_12.pdf
all the best, t.
see you on 5@5.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

geoff marbella

6th May 2013, 17:40
Was just going to post the pdf link - thanks for the answer - I had no hope of getting to PODCASTS and yes it is "files".

still stuck can you help with 6 D Heretical vow our last mistake (8) thought it might be an anagram of "vow our last" but no inspiration so maybe not
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th May 2013, 18:03
i also thought it might be an anagram of "vow our last" but i now have a 'D' as the 2nd letter.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th May 2013, 18:50
vow can be turned into a short 2 word phrase.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

les40

6th May 2013, 20:09
Evening Trevor, Geoff & Jolan,

Haven't got the crossword but just seen this, I do know that there was once a bible printed with a MISTAKE in it concerning the word 'NOT' being left out of the commandment 'Thou shall (not) commit adultery.
Which would have caused a stir amongst our religious scholars as 'Thou shall commit adultery'

Seeing as the commandments are VOWS, then could it possibly be an Heretical vow if it's asking you to commit Adultery
ADULTERY - this would fit with your 'D' in the second position Trevor

A bit of a stretch maybe, but I've been in contact with Big Dave in the past and he is very proficient and well learned when it comes to clue construction, he can throw in a real tester when he wants.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

les40

6th May 2013, 20:54
Forget the above post. Just been on to look at the crossword and the answer to the 'Heretical vow' clue isn't 8 letters, it's 10 letters, I thought it was a bit strange when you said it could be an anagram of 'vow our last'
Back to the drawing board I feel.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post