CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kangxi

28th April 2013, 13:57
Well, it's a stinker this week: 4 to go after a long effort. I feel cheated when I know the answer but can't work out why. And also when I see the reasoning but disagree with the setter. Any comments or help with explaining these would be appreciated:

17a Cobblers needing hammer to remove horseshow = R_T Seems to be Rot (=cobblers). Why?

18a It's essential to keep ice ready, after reading it back? (6) = Recipe (buried in there backwards). But how is a recipe essential?

29a Plant a departing kiss (5) = cress (caress - a) but a kiss is not a caress, and the phrase "to kniss and caress" show we do draw a distinction between the 2. And my Chambers doesn't mention kiss in the definition of caress either.

7d Sweet bandleader in the sixties, unused to stuff about ecstasy (10.5) = peppermint cream. Don't know why, although a friend tells me there was a group called Cream which may be the 'bandleader'.

8d Lucky miss discovering that top's been traded in (1,4,5) = a near thing (probably). No idea why.

43d Vulgar account - putting book down, embarrassed (3-4) = ill-bred. I can see b for book, red for embarrassed, but how do you explain "account - putting"?

46d Cricket team captain finally bursting for one win (7) = England. Apart from captain finally - n, I can't see any word play at all.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

rmleake

28th April 2013, 14:01
7D Peppermint cream is a sweet. Sgt Pepper was a band leader, stuff is cram, about ecstacy 'e'. mint = unused.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

ab

28th April 2013, 14:01
Cricket team captain finally bursting for one win
Last letter of captain - n inside "eg" (for one, as example) with "Land" as in win? = E n g land?
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

rmleake

28th April 2013, 14:02
vulgar = ill-bred. Account is a bill , with book down = move down the'b'. embarrassed = red.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

ab

28th April 2013, 14:04
An account is a bill - putting book - b down gives illb +red?
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

brackendale

28th April 2013, 14:06
8 Down Discovering is UNEARTHING, trade in (= change) the top gives ANEARTHING

43 Down Account is BILL, put book (B) down (to the bottom) gives ILLB with RED gives ILL BRED
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

ab

28th April 2013, 14:09
Cress In snooker a kiss is a light touch and my Chambers gives kiss as "to caress"!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

ab

28th April 2013, 14:24
Lucky miss - unearthing - discovering with top traded in a for u = a near thing?
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

kangxi

28th April 2013, 15:00
Well, I stand in awe. Well done one & all. As always, everything is crystal clear - in hindsight...
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

mamya

28th April 2013, 15:04
17 Hammer - ROUT , remove horseshoe ' U 'to give ROT Cobblers.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post