CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smiffy

21st April 2013, 17:12
I tried hard not to look at them all..... but was very weak!
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

brackendale

21st April 2013, 17:12
I wouldn't - unless I was a HORSE TRADER with ENGLISH GOTHIC tendencies - but I am a COWARD in CAMOUFLAGE in an AMBIENCE of GUM RESIN or OZONE.
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

merryphil

21st April 2013, 17:21
Brackendale, I had all those but I want 2 d
13 of 24  -   Report This Post

brackendale

21st April 2013, 17:24
I have often said that it is not much use giving answers to cryptic clues simply because the answer fits the grid. I have strayed from this practice in this post.

So here is a challenge to m.o.m.o., mary6 and smiffy. The best clues, in my humble opinion, are those for SOLAR SYSTEM and REMONSTRATE. Come on, you three. Parse these clues!
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

smiffy

21st April 2013, 18:04
SOLAR SYSTEM. Definition=heavenly arrangement (I was thinking of constellations)
stalk=STEM, sauce=SOY, Swede=LARS
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

smiffy

21st April 2013, 18:07
REMONSTRATE. Definition= Argue fiercely
Battle=MONS, raising sharp=TART backwards
About=RE
Energy=E
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

brackendale

21st April 2013, 18:13
Well done, smiffy! Nice clue, wasn't it?

Now, what about REMONSTRATE?

For merryphil, 2 Down is LOCAL - think anaesthetic and number as something that numbs!
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

brackendale

21st April 2013, 18:17
Well done again, smiffy! You would win the prize if there was one!

I don't know what happened to m.o.m.o. and Mary6!
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

mary6

21st April 2013, 18:55
Hi Brackendale, just caught up on this thread - very clever. And I'm glad smiffy parsed all those answers before I had to make an attempt. In fact, I've been gardening most of yesterday and today as we've actually had some warm sunny weather, and just took a peek earlier as very little was making sense. Now off to enjoy a well-earned glass or 3 of beer so even less will make sense after that.
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

brackendale

21st April 2013, 19:03
Thanks, Mary6. Enjoy your beer - I was in our summer house most of the afternoon - perhaps the sun (that yellow thing in the sky) got to me.

Or perhaps it was the red wine I was drinking.

Have a nice evening.
20 of 24  -   Report This Post