CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ricola86

29th March 2013, 19:31
Hi,
I don't really do cryptic crosswords, but I was having an argument with my brother if this would be a good cryptic clue and if it is indeed a cryptic clue. I come up with this:
Plenty of mini cakes move to music.
I won't give the answer yet, it'll be interesting to see if anyone can get it.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

29th March 2013, 19:33
Hi ricola, how many letters please?
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

29th March 2013, 19:34
Abundance
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

ricola86

29th March 2013, 19:34
Hi, It's nine letters. :-)
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

ricola86

29th March 2013, 19:35
Ha, it is abundance.
Does that mean it is a good cryptic clue?
You probably wouldn't see it in the Times crossword though.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

29th March 2013, 19:38
I am certainly no clue setter and probably no real judge either, found it a simple one to solve.

If we were to be picky you give 'cakes' in the clue but the answer has only one 'bun'. I admire anyone who is prepared to have a go - keep it up.

M ♥
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

ricola86

29th March 2013, 19:43
Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if it is in a similar format to usual cryptic clues. I have only ever attempted to do cryptic crosswords, to no avail. Don't think I'll be a compiler any time soon.
I did think about the cakes being plural, but singular would of conflicted with 'plenty'.
How would you get round that do you think?
:-)
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

29th March 2013, 19:49
Well done mamya. Ricola, it's a good clue but as mamya implies, "officially" all the parts of the clue & answer should correspond exactly. For instance, "Plenty - a mini cake followed by eg foxtrot" would be more "correct", although it doesn't flow as nicely as your clue. Which is why I'm in awe of the great cryptic setters. But they all had to start somewhere :-)
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

29th March 2013, 19:49
Now you have put me on the spot, go on will try

Little cake, doing ample twist [9]
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

29th March 2013, 19:50
Told you I was not a setter lol
10 of 11  -   Report This Post