CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

judy bentley

16th December 2008, 08:58
Silly me. I thought everyone was doing the same crossword. The clue is: Roller for pitch initially all but hidden. It's six letters, Charles - blank L blank G blank N
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

terry

16th December 2008, 20:31
Might the G be wrong. Then you could have PLATEN.
A platen is a roller in a printing press. Pitch initially is P+ LATEN (nearly all of latent another word for hidden).
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

judy bentley

17th December 2008, 12:47
Wow, Terry, I'm impressed. You got it when one of the letters was wrong! Thank you. Can you help with the final one? It's L blank T blank O blank A blank and the clue is: Greats starting with viva? I'm nearly at sea (8)
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

jimc

17th December 2008, 16:16
Hi!

The answer is LITTORAL, I believe, which roughly means 'of the shoreline' (ie 'nearly at sea'). LIT is an abbreviation of some studies at Oxford (also known as the Greats) and a viva is an ORAL test/examination.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

judy bentley

18th December 2008, 12:27
Brilliant, Jim C. Many thanks.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

smokey

21st December 2008, 20:13
Have been struggling with the Radio Times Christmas puzzle since Thursday. Only one to get. 9 Down : Clue Prudent Pundit. 4 letters.I think it might be " Sage". Do you think I could be right? Many thanks in advance.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

smokey

Have been struggling with the Radio Times Christmas puzzle since Thursday. Only one to get. 9 Down : Clue Prudent Pundit. 4 letters.I think it might be " Sage". Do you think I could be right? Many thanks in advance.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post

smokey

11 of 12  -   Report This Post

terry

21st December 2008, 20:17
For smokey. Yes it is sage. Think "wise" or "clever".
12 of 12  -   Report This Post