CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

17th March 2013, 22:24
Finished this grid but would like to know how others have parse'd the wordplay cus I am getting it two different ways with both not quite fitting correctly.

4d) A pig farmer was chased by French opposition member carrying a stick (8)

N - P - L - O - N. Napoleon

Cheers, Les40
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

les40

17th March 2013, 22:26
That's meant to be

N - P - L - O -
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

ab

17th March 2013, 22:45
Napoleon was the pig in Animal Farm and was its leader so was a "pig farmer"? Non (french opposition) carrying "a pole" = n a pole on? Looks plausible but leaves member rather cut loose?
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

les40

17th March 2013, 22:51
Cheers AB, I'm seeing the same problem.

A pig farmer was chased by French opposition member carrying a stick (8)

I had the Non carrying 'A pole' with no use of 'Member' but then I went the other way with
'Leon the pig farmer' is a 1992 film
So had 'Leon' being chased (in down clue?) by 'Napo' and was wondering if that was something to do with 'French opposition'
And the 'member carrying a stick' maybe being the DEF in some way (maybe Napoleon carried a stick?)

What do you think?
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

ab

17th March 2013, 23:05
Thought of Leon the pig farmer and Napoleon did say that every soldier "carried a field marshal's baton in his knapsack" but all seems a bit tenuous?

5 of 8  -   Report This Post

les40

17th March 2013, 23:26
Oh well, I'll go with it and see how things pan out. A few tricky clues in this one this week, even the DEF for 26a) had me scratching my head until I checked it in Chambers, never knew that 'Rocket' was 'A severe reprimand'
We live and learn I suppose.

Cheers AB,
Les40
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

syzygy

19th March 2013, 04:36
Well, that one really sucked.
Finished with 8-9 ?s re wordplay: 9A, 17A, 7D, 8D, 23D.
6D AMOUNT ONE anagrams to ONE MAN OUT, but the answer is ODD ... ... !?

While perusing again, saw a couple, but lame.
No stars this week.

Sometimes the best solution is: PUZZLE ---> RECYCLE BIN, & move on.

7 of 8  -   Report This Post

suber

20th March 2013, 07:19
Just to put you out of a little of your misery, 'amount' is an anagram of 'man out', hence 'odd' -but that's about the only one I've cottoned on to this week!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post