CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kiwikid

12th March 2013, 20:49
I have seen 'ghost anagrams' referred to in several recent posts.... could some kind person explain this spirited phenomenon please? It seems to be something to be avoided!
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

emrach

12th March 2013, 21:00
Hi Kiwikid Thats weird I was asking about that today. May I suggest you go the post Message for Emrach and at the very end RE gave a link which explains and also has a useful link.

Basically an anagram is required to solve the clue however the words are not in the actual clue x
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

emrach

12th March 2013, 21:02
Sorry should have said post started by RedundantElf at 16.35 ish
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

12th March 2013, 21:07
Thanks for that - I will go hunt it out.

KK
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

emrach

12th March 2013, 21:09
Sorry I couldn't explain it better but the Mr Dwight clue is a good example I feel x
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th March 2013, 21:10
...or do a search for 'indirect anagrams' as they are also known.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th March 2013, 21:11
I used the term here a couple of years ago because I didn't know what to call the beast, and was informed that the correct term is indirect anagram. I still prefer ghost anagram, and I think using one is never justified. There are simple ones, like using "demented duck", say, to arrive at "late" (from teal), but one can see (I think) how unfair this really is. I for one feel that the anagram fodder should be present in the clue, no matter how short or simple the anagram is.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th March 2013, 21:16
One appeared early this morning on a thread by tombola.

sitting in streetcar experience mounting confusion (5,4)
Answer: mare's nest (confusion)
streetcar = tram
experience = sense
mounting (in reverse)
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th March 2013, 21:17
i totally agree with Aristophanes, they are rubbish and anybody who uses them should be shot! (i think that's what he meant).
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th March 2013, 21:20
sorry Jazzgirl, but i think that clue is ok (at least in terms of shooting the setter).
surely it is just one synonym inside another backwards?
10 of 17  -   Report This Post