CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

12th March 2013, 11:15
Good morning friends. Here are this week's clues. Hope you have fun solving. Enjoy! J

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT) to allow others to have a go.

1. Favours accepted from elected MPs, bars EEC representation (9)

2. A flat container for nitrogen while being produced in the US (8)

3. He plays a part in promoting top fruitcake (5)

4. Flier’s back opening, in a way (9)

5. Gossip in Scotland about mother taking whip to a beginner captured by underground explorers (5-2-7)

PS. I don't usually include a very obscure word or term.The "original" Terry, who encouraged me to develop 5@5, warned me against this. Neverthelass, no. 5 is one of those BUT the solurion IS in the clue.. :)
1 of 55  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th March 2013, 11:16
...and so is the "solution". LOL
2 of 55  -   Report This Post

tony

12th March 2013, 11:26
Thanks for another set of clues Jolan.

I hope to be back later but, in passing, my Chambers doesn't show No5 as hyphenated.
3 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th March 2013, 11:29
Morning jolan
I've got #5, based on your hint, a lucky guess, and a bit of research.
4 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th March 2013, 11:30
I agree with tony - I found it as one word too.
5 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th March 2013, 11:34
Actually now I've paused to parse it, my answer has a letter different from your construction. Perhaps it's an alternative.
6 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th March 2013, 11:36
OK, I knew you were probably right! It is given as an alternative and is, in this form, hyphenated.
7 of 55  -   Report This Post

tony

12th March 2013, 12:12
Apologies Jolan.

I should have done what chris did and parse it before
referring to Chambers.
On my way out now but hope to back in time to check my answers.
8 of 55  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

12th March 2013, 12:18
Good afternoon jolan

Glad to see you're on good form, as usual ( grrr :-) )

I believe I have #3 but much more definite for #5 (something I've not heard for many a year). I will persevere as always. Have a good day
9 of 55  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th March 2013, 12:35
Good morning, Tony, Chrise and RE. The hyphenated version is actually a sub-headword in my paper and cd versions of Chambers.

And, Tony, how many times have I done the same thing? Many!

Again, I'm surprised. You folk seem to be able to tackle what I thought the most difficult one, with ease.

Off to the nearest village now. See you later.

PS. I really shouldn't be surprised. I remember the days when one opened this site and found several "O replies" awaiting answer. Nowadays, even the most difficult queries submitted are answered very quickly indeed. Just shows the level of expertise of the people attracted to the forum.
10 of 55  -   Report This Post