CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

10th March 2013, 14:23
Hello all,

Here are the Solution and Wordplay files for this month's Joint Effort. Thanks to AB again for putting together the Wordplay File.

Please feel free to question any clue compilation and also give (in your opinion) credit where credit is due by way of plaudits to your favourites.

Again, I thank all the regular and newcomer setters for all their hard work in making the Joint Effort possible.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18643289/Joint%20Effort%20March%202013%20SOLUTION.pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18643289/Joint%20Effort%20March%202013%20WORDPLAY%20FILE.pdf

Thanks, Les40
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

peterm

10th March 2013, 17:02
Thanks Les and AB for all your hard work. Lots of excellent clues again. My absolute favourites were AB's 18ac for its pithy wit; Bullfrog's 21ac for its clever misdirection and smooth surface reading; ixion's 58ac for its crafty construction; ditto Lit's 6dn and Emrach's 10dn. A really good puzzle. Well done everyone.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th March 2013, 17:04
First, Les, I'd like to thank you for all your hard work in making these puzzles and to ab for creating the word play files. This one was slightly easier (after the previous one I nearly gave up all together!)

I like aristo's clue for ORC, and BigBad's 50 ac "Train as Engineer". I also liked Les's clue for Vishnu when I had it explained, but the God happens to have 6 limbs and I couldn't see what "down" had to do with it! Also like jws' 52 dn , straightforward and good.

Ok, now for my anecdote related to 1dn. My grandfather was a stern man, who at one time supported a household of 18 including 6 children. They were only allowed in the dining room once they could be trusted to behave properly. Prayers before and after meals, polite conversation; you get the picture.
One day the maid puts a plate of little pies on the table for dessert. Someone asks what they are? "Maids of Honour" my grandmother replies. My uncle remarks that "They look like ordinary tarts to me" . No-one dared look at anyone else.
I apologise if I have told this before and won't do so again. Probably!
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

ixion

10th March 2013, 20:09
Thanks to Les and AB...

I (not very scientifically, and rather haphazardly) circle ones I particularly like as I go along, which were...

1a(Les40)15a(Rosalind)22a(Busby)24a(aristophanes)45a(jws) and 53a(peterm)
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th March 2013, 21:42
As usual, warmest thanks to Les and AB. I always hesitate to post favorites since I enjoy so many of the clues, but I'll mention a few deft and charming touches: Rosalind's 15a, AB's succinct fantasy at 18a, Bullfrog's non-Spoonerism at 21a, Syzzie's poor newt that has to lose weight to hook up at 23a, and ixion's 58a. And thanks so much, Rosalind and ixie- truly honored (one of these days I'll inadvertently slip into your Frenchified spelling).
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

busby

11th March 2013, 00:56
Thanks Ixion but I must"fess up" 22a was from les40 not me.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

emrach

11th March 2013, 09:09
Thanks Les40 and AB for all the work you put in. First time for me and thoroughly enjoyed it - I will hold back on the double entendre!! I had several unsolved but all makes sense now. As for favourites too many to mention. Thanks again x
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th March 2013, 09:14
Thanks again for all your efforts, les. I really enjoyed this one, though I was delayed by having Cheeta (the chimp in the Tarzan movies) instead of Schultz and Tanni (Grey-Thompson - multiple GOLD medal winner) instead of Oldie.

I've mentioned before that for me the standout clue was bullfrog's 21ac for DREGS.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

jws

11th March 2013, 18:47
Many thanks to Les and AB for all the hard work. We get the easy part in setting the clues.

Favourite clue was 65a from AB but there were many other excellent clues.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post