CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

1st March 2013, 10:30
Hiya everyone,

Just read Bullfrog's thread (thanks for that mate) and was just gonne alert you all anyway. I've received lots of emails from Burkina Faso asking for my personal details with promises of shares in vast sums of money if I comply, this looks like it could be linked to the source of the random emails you are getting.
I've been missing for a couple of days because my friend was taken ill and I've been round there helping out, but rest assured that I have received all your emails RE: Joint Effort and I am gonna transfer them out of the yahoo email list and set up a fresh email address to continue contacting you over the Joint Effort.
Just to keep it safe, I will choose an address for the email that you will certainly recognise is me and I will also let you know when I'm gonna start sending the emails to you so you are ready to expect it.

I'm at work at the moment on the laptop, but will sort this out tonight hopefully when I get home to my PC.
Sorry guys for the inconvenience, I will try and sort it as quickly as possible.
I agree that this would be best kept on page one for a while, so if you guys could keep your eye on it because I won't be able to access the internet all day as I have to work. I'll try my best though.

Thanks very much. Les40

Les40

1 of 12  -   Report This Post

busby

1st March 2013, 10:37
Hope your friend is OK thanks for your efforts, anyone can be caught with "nasties", have been a few times my self.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

les40

1st March 2013, 10:58
Cheers Busby, yeh, the computer thing I don't think is gonna be dangerous, I had a similar incident last year that ironed itself out in the long run. I feel that because my email address for the JE is quite public, someone is just chancing their arm at scamming me, it's just ashame that its caused an access route to send automatic emails to you guys. I have very good security measures on my PC but as you know, you can't stop the odd gremlin sneaking it's way in. I hope it doesn't cause too much trouble for the forum setters, I may have to look at using a new email address every 3 or 4 months to keep a tight ship from invaders. Syzygy is quite clued up on this sort of thing and it will be good to hear from him later to see if any emails have been sent to him.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

busby

1st March 2013, 11:07
It hasn't affected all just yet....hopefully won't, appreciate your efforts. Cheers..
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

1st March 2013, 11:08
Hi Les - I've also emailed you to let you know that I'd had a spam email from you. My brother had a similar problem early last year (ie spam mail being sent from his email address to all his contacts) and he got rid of it by clearing his contact list and then re-populating it, so don't know if that would help.

btw - hope your mate is on the mend
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

emrach

1st March 2013, 11:17
Sorry to hear about your friend Les40 - don't worry about us you have enough on your plate x
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

les40

1st March 2013, 11:41
Cheers guys,

I'll sort it all out tonight, I'm gonna spend some time on it and hopefully get some clue feedback emails out to you all so we can progress with the grid too.
I'm off now cus I've got to go out and do some work, speak later.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

busby

1st March 2013, 11:44
Hey Les...just had a dumb idea...if you want people on this forum to have an email address why not see if the owners of this forum can send your contact details to the users you specify, via email. When we sign up to this forum we all have to supply our email addresses. That way you can choose who can see it and who can't. We all want some kind of privacy but wish to communicate.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st March 2013, 12:27
Don't know why you guys all deleted it. I just received my first check (cheque)- for $700!
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

les40

1st March 2013, 20:11
OK guys,

I've done a full scan and removed 4 Trojans, so the computer is safe again (Phew! I bloody hope so)
This is the new plan for future correspondence:
I am gonna reply to you all via the original email address which is: les40forumjointeffort@yahoo.co.uk
Within that email will be a new email address that we will exchange future messages that you can all keep private for Joint Effort correspondence in the future.
This new email address will not be advertised on the forum, however, in future months, I will advertise the original address for new setters to contact and then send them the new email address for them to use in future. So, that will be an original contact via the old address and then an instant switch over to the new email address for privacy reasons.

The reason for this is that if anyone who has already established contact with the Joint Effort emailing system then receives more emails from the old address, they can simply ignore and delete them without worrying if they have missed important news concerning the Crossword.
It's the safest way I can think, I've been in contact with Syzzie and he suggests a Gmail address for the new contact because he backs its security features for spam and malware but you will know this when I contact you.

Thanks for the suggestion Busby but I don't really want to bother the owners of the site with extra email security stuff.

I am now gonna begin feedback emails, so remember
YOUR FIRST RETURN EMAIL WILL BE FROM THE OLD ADDRESS And will CONTAIN THE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.

Les40
10 of 12  -   Report This Post