CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unhelpful

26th February 2013, 00:59
unclued - I'm being unfair? Really? Someone specifically asks for a 'gentle hint', which you inexplicably interpret as licence to give the answer explicitly. Yet when I suggest that your 'can anyone help me' is a request for the answer, you take umbrage at *my* supposedly unfair inference. Your logic is seriously flawed.

The point is that nobody learns anything by being given an answer outright, and I don't suppose that anyone wanting to hone their solving skills appreciates being spoon-fed answers. Nudges are the way to go.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding my presence here. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'll continue to post here, even though I'll not be contributing any answers.
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

unclued

26th February 2013, 06:43
Thanks serpentine. Your help has given me the answer. I'm really enjoying this crossword - I think it's the hardest I've ever tried.
Thanks Jim for your words of encouragement - I'll probably finish this one in about three weeks at the rate I'm going!
10 of 29  -   Report This Post

barista

26th February 2013, 08:35
thanks - I was beginning to lose the will when it clicked.

Wow.
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

barretter

26th February 2013, 18:49
I have a solution of the "noetic pastime" clue but I can't decide which type of clue it is as it appears to have a misprint in the definition but also to be a clue where the solution misses out letters from the material which forms the basis of its solution. Any opinions?
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

serpentinew

26th February 2013, 19:31
Try looking at it as a clue as the anagrammed answer + is
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

barretter

26th February 2013, 20:17
So you don't think "noetic" is a misprint for "poetic"? I can see a case for both possibilities
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

serpentinew

26th February 2013, 20:47
sorry - the clue answer is a poetic pastime
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

barretter

26th February 2013, 22:01
Right, so it's a misprint typer and the solution + is reconstitutes the anagrammed word. Only leaves me a mere 33 clues to cold solve!
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

barretter

26th February 2013, 22:03
Or "misprint type" even!
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

unclued

26th February 2013, 22:22
Barretter - I have 12 clues to go. It's very slow progress but I found that it's worth having a guess at where some of the 7, 8 and 9 letter words go because things to go faster when you have a few letters to help. Good luck!
18 of 29  -   Report This Post