CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

22nd February 2013, 14:55
I have just read DEPENDANT in a New Scientist article. As I have always spelled it DEPENDENT, I looked it up in Chambers, which gives two alternative meanings - the first however gives dependAnt with dependEnt as an alternative; the second the other way round. (I won't prejudice your hoped-for responses by giving the meanings, though I will say they weren't very distinct from each other.)

Is there are distinction between DEPENDENT and DEPENDANT? If so, what is it?
1 of 30  -   Report This Post

andyc

22nd February 2013, 14:57
I always believed that dependant related to the person!
2 of 30  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd February 2013, 14:59
............and as a noun rather than an adjective: dependants in the family context, I always understood.
3 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd February 2013, 15:02
I have always thought that if one was dependent on something or someone, then one became a dependant.
4 of 30  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd February 2013, 15:03
Thanks to both
The phrase I read was "Neanderthals grew relatively rapidly and spent less time dependAnt on their parents".
It's a bit fuzzy, but if it were being used as a noun it should be "less time as dependants", shouldn't it?
5 of 30  -   Report This Post

bernie

22nd February 2013, 15:05
That depends ;-)
6 of 30  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd February 2013, 15:07
Couldn't this be a liberty our cousins across The Pond take with the spelling? "NS" is originally U.S., isn't it --- or maybe the article you're reading, the author, or it's s'one more familiar with Am. scientific expressions written that way?
7 of 30  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd February 2013, 15:09
Good point, GK - the author is Canadian (though if it were incorrect, you would expect and English sub-editor to correct it?)
8 of 30  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd February 2013, 15:10
I missed the New Scientist reference - no, it has always been an English publication.
9 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd February 2013, 15:11
Standards are slipping !
10 of 30  -   Report This Post