CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

17th November 2009, 20:55
Very boring this week, apart from a spark of interest when Cardinal Richelieu's private secretary pokes his head above the parapet in 4 down.

Wordfinder is "The Sopranos".
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

18th November 2009, 17:02
If French 'rouge' is correct for Red lieutenant (as you suggest), 'the sopranos' is not (no 'g').
Also have 'C' & 'I' from screen and apprenticeship.
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

18th November 2009, 17:16
I don't believe I suggested any such thing. The clue I referred to is 4 down (8,5) and I think the clue you are referring to is 12 across. If that is the case, your second part of 12A is correct but the first three letters are wrong and it is a single word. Think of what type of boat the Nautilus was.

I don't know for which clue you have SCREEN as the answer and as there are no 14 letter words in this crossword I can't see how you have fitted APPRENTICESHIP anywhere. Enlighten please.
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

18th November 2009, 17:18
Sorry, I should have also said that the colour associated with 4 down is grey and not red.
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

18th November 2009, 18:33
John. Your help is always acceptable. You did mention Cardinal Richelieu and gen says he is also known as "l'eminence rouge".French gives 8 & 5 letters. for 4 down. In my darkness I cannot see grey at all.
for 9 down I tried "screen curtain" - is in the book; can be lowered. Curtain ties in with rheostat and (anag) inheritot..
I still haven't a clue for 1 down.
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

18th November 2009, 18:44
I hope John doesn't mind my interjecting [and I also hope that he's not been blown off the island] but you're nearly there.

When I saw his original post, I knew straight away what the answer would be and, bear in mind it's an anagram. Eliminate 'eminence' and you'll have the letters left for the colour.

Now, to correct your other answer! What is dropped in a theatre?

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

18th November 2009, 20:23
No, we're still here, although the ferry has stopped running and may not run at all tomorrow. Thank goodness that The Herald crossword is available on line.

Try this as an alternative clue for 1 down:

A horse-drawn vehicle expresses pain at one quarter of a frame.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

18th November 2009, 20:32
Hi flipper2law,

The first post actually mentions Cardinal Richelieu's private secretary (Père Joseph) who had a nickname. It has more recently been applied to President Obama's sidekick George Mitchell also known in that horrible American way as "The Gray Man".

Hope that helps.

P.S. Only as a last resort, if you are really stuck, click on this http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/09/21/obamas_eminence_grise">link.
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

18th November 2009, 22:13
Hi John,

I'm glad you're still there! That's a very clever clue you've left for one down.

I think the confusion is that Richelieu was known as the Red Cardinal as well as L'Eminence ***** but we can't do any more to assist and hopefully the penny will drop soon.

Baton down the hatches.

Best wishes,

Caravaggio
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

18th November 2009, 22:17
Sorry! Batten not baton.
10 of 20  -   Report This Post