CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barista

2nd February 2013, 17:37
This is pretty fun, particularly if you did last week's Inq of the same title. But but but... What if anything is the final step, the 6 cells that may or may not be highlighted? Anyone got any ideas? I'm stuck between the 6 cells comprising 1 a, which I wouldn't highlight , and two days of the week, each 3 cells, which I probably would. But neither option seems bang on.
5 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2013, 18:07
Barista I agree -this IS quite good fun. I'm not totally finished yet and, like you, I'm still puzzling over the final stage. I hoped all would be clear once I'd filled in 29 D, but I've still to do that.
6 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 18:17
If you've got 5d, Malone, but not 29d, then think about 1a, the title, and the three extra letters in each of the 5 theme words - it'll be obvious when you see it!
7 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2013, 18:29
Barista, I was polite earlier and decided to reply to you before ging back to this crossword - and of course, as soon as I looked at 29 again, I saw it immediately! I'm still mulling over the highlighting.
8 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 18:58
I've got 2 abbreviated days of the week in the right hand side of the grid, each 3 letters, one the day after the other, and following the same 'pattern' (or trajectory, perhaps), but they're not connected and it seems to be the wrong outcome. However, given the wording of the second Chambers def of the theme phrase, it's interesting that there are quite a few anagrams of 'things' in the grid..? ( but none being 'exactly the same', to refer to the def)
9 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2013, 19:06
My progress report...
I spotted a significant word (possibly two words) going diagonally upwards (the last letteris the 4th n 9 D). If this helps you to help me...
10 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:10
Good spot. Might there be a problem with the preamble - it seems to refer us to the second 'meaning' in chambers, which I take to be the second definition, which refers to things seeming to happen on consecutive days. The word you've noted has got to be relevant, but it's relevant to the first definition..? Argh.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:25
I don't think it's an error - the preamble is too precise. I think the answer may well be to highlight the word you've pointed out - if that is highlighted, then it's 'seen', and if it's seen, then today (feb 2) is still exactly the same as feb 1- per defn 2 in Chambers- because it's still the same as the word highlighted which includes all the letters in 24a.

Does that make any sense?!
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

nelson

2nd February 2013, 19:38
Is the 'timely' interruption WINTER?
This doesn't seem to fit with my answer to 24a
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:44
That's what I've got, yes.
14 of 23  -   Report This Post