CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

29th January 2013, 16:15
Will you please stop saying everything twice, everything twice !
61 of 76  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

29th January 2013, 21:59
Good evening, All. I don't like this new format, so I apologise if I am raising a point that has already been answered.

1 down, I have a notion for, but can't justify my answer.Thank you for 4 down, I was working along the lines of curb or kerb, but had not remembered much about my knitting skills, which are almost as good as my knowledge of astro physics.

A wild couple of days here in the west. Yesterday, I was supposed to go for a dental check up, but couldn't get off the island. Not that it made much difference, as my need for a dentist is pretty much the same as Kojak's need for a barber.

Hope all are well, and glad to see the back of the snow for a while.

Best wishes.

P
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th January 2013, 08:28
Good morning pipesmoker.

1d is a gas as I expect you have solved. The first letter is the symbol for "times" in maths, as (apparently) is the word "takes". Not happy with that myself.
Best wishes. J
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

magworth

30th January 2013, 09:38
Re 1d. When children say `Ten take two` they mean take away - not multiply. Odd.
I was at the eye clinic yesterday so the new format has come at a shock. I found the x-word easy - only because I filled in the answers without knowing the reason why !
Now how to post this I wonder.........Mags
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th January 2013, 11:30
Just been looking at another forum re 1d and someone has said "X" = nobody ( oerson with no name) This sounds better but we also have "none" as well (reversed)
65 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th January 2013, 11:31
*typo person with no name
66 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th January 2013, 11:35
Ah! Just seen another post on a different site where someone has shown X = "takes" (in a game of Chess !)
That's got to be right
67 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th January 2013, 11:45
I've checked this out and X definitely means a "capture" (using algebraic notation)
68 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th January 2013, 15:25
That makes a lot more sense - thanks jazzy.
69 of 76  -   Report This Post

lilacwine

1st February 2013, 17:15
Hi everyone!
Have finished it at last. I don't look on here until I am stuck as I don't get my RT until Thursday.
I would not have finished it without the help of Quick solve for 8 across and this thread for 1down and 24 across. So a big thank you :)
70 of 76  -   Report This Post