CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

27th January 2013, 15:30
Thanks also Jazzy and Bullfrog. Methinks I'll go and hide my head somewhere, Oh! The shame of it all.

Jazzy (x) Yep! I've solved 3D. I should have included the provided clue in SAGA.

For vegetable fricassee get parsnip chopped (6,3)
I criticise the structure of the clue. Probably a typo.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

brackendale

27th January 2013, 15:49
I don't like to disagree but surely the solution to the vegetable fricassee clue is STRING PEA - not SPRING PEA.

Fricassee indicates the anagram of GET and PARSNI(p) chopped which gives STRING PEA.

According to Chambers there is no such thing as spring pea where as a string pea is "a pea with edible pods"

The structure of the clue is perfectly good - no typo that I can see!
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

tonyw

27th January 2013, 16:03
fricassee indicates to chop into pieces the word GET;I have spring pea.Never heard of a string pea,myself,but open to an explanation .
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th January 2013, 16:06
My gardening encyclopaedia shows Lathyrus vernus (Spring Pea )
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

jolan

27th January 2013, 16:09
Hi Tonyw and Breckendale.

Indeed you are correct Breckendale and I owe an apology to SASA and the setter. I'm really having a bad day. Think I'll go back to bed. Spring Pea is there in Chambers as is Spring Pea.

The setter's clue gives STRING PEA, my (stupidly) suggested alternative would give SPRING PEA. Both are in Chambers
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

tonyw

27th January 2013, 16:10
Having spent a bit more time looking at this ,I think both answers could be correct.So it will be the compiler's decision .
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th January 2013, 16:11
I've now altered my tattered copy to String Pea. Thanks Brackendale. I won't be sending it in ;)
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

jolan

27th January 2013, 16:11
Yes, I'll definitely head for bed!!!
STRING PEA and SPRING PEA are both there. The answer, as Breckendale says, STRING PEA from the given clue. Thank you B
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th January 2013, 16:16
Good night jolan (after dinner though) and mind the Cimex lectularius Linnaeus doesn't bite!
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

jolan

27th January 2013, 16:24
Yes Jazzy. I've always suspected the bed was bugged. See you Tuesday, when I hope I'll have recovered my wits.

My new motto. Trust the SAGA setter (& Try not to make a fool out of myself!!!).

PS. Just got a lovely birthday present (15th Jan) a 4-DVD "JAZZ - A film by Ken Burns". It's a 12-hour series, which I completely missed on the BBC. Really looking forward to starting in to it soon. x
20 of 23  -   Report This Post