CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pogle2

27th January 2013, 10:29
I need help with parsing 28D
Country pile? It'll make guest think (4)(4)
I have T-SS

1 of 14  -   Report This Post

jolan

27th January 2013, 12:14
tass (dialect) = a heap (country pile?). Haven't figured out the parsing.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

jolan

27th January 2013, 12:21
I don't 'do' AZED. Would the double meaning be so far out as below, where students stay free (as guests?) to extend their knowledge.

The Telluride Association is a non-profit organization in the United States that provides young people with free educational programs emphasizing intellectual curiosity, democratic self-governance, and social responsibility. Students are invited to apply based on academic criteria, such as high standardized test scores; however, anyone can apply without nomination. The association was named in 1910 by it founder Lucien Lucius Nunn for his city of residence, Telluride, Colorado.

The Association's principal programs are summer seminars for high school students, called TASSes and TASPs, and scholarship houses, called Telluride Houses, for college students. These residential programs are offered at no cost to the students, who are encouraged to use the benefit of their extraordinary education for service to society. The Association is run largely by those elected to membership from its recent alumni, Deep Springs College alumni, and current Branch students.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

pogle2

27th January 2013, 12:39
Thanks, Jolan....I had decided it was probably "Tass" from the allusion to "Country heap" The balance of the clue is mystifyingly bizarre but, then again, that's AZED
I feel there's some deep connection to "tass" as a welcoming drink, but that's a SWAG :-)
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

barretter

27th January 2013, 13:33
It's just one of Azed's self-referential clues : t as s turns guest into guess (think).
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

chummy mummy

27th January 2013, 13:53
If TASS is correct, it leaves me with --SN for 32ac.
Male hern? It's head tucked inside lower part of leg.
Is there a 4 letter word ending in SN or have I gone horribly wrong???
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

barretter

27th January 2013, 14:03
Have a look at the second definition of "hern" in Chambers and it will probably come to you.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

chummy mummy

27th January 2013, 14:11
Thanks barretter.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

pogle2

27th January 2013, 14:16
Thanks, all....
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

martin

27th January 2013, 14:32
Can anyone explain the parsing of 32a? Its head = I, but where does "lower part of leg" come in?
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED Help