CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

25th January 2013, 15:57
I had an unresolved Java problem which meant I couldn't see the last Guardian Genius crossword. Somebody here solved their similar Java problem - can anyone help now?

I just checked my Mozilla plugins and Java was listed as being out of date (even though I repeatedly reinstalled it a few weeks ago and it said it was up-to-date - it just didn't work).

So today I installed the latest version for Windows. At least, I thought I did. I never did get the second half of the process up on the screen, but who knows? It's now up-to-date according to Mozilla, which says I have:

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.110.21
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy 1.7.0.11

This looks good, no? But if I go to the Guardian Genius, yet again I can't see it and it (Windows?) says 'A plugin is needed to display this content. Install plugin...' and if I click on that I get a box offering me

Java Runtime Environment 1.7 u11

which sounds suspiciously like what Mozilla thinks I already have.

Windows says I have

Java 7 Update 11
JavaFX 2.1.1

installed - is this right?

What is going on, and how can I actually install the correct version of Java, have it install correctly AND get it to work so I can see the next genius crossword?
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

livs

25th January 2013, 16:04
*headdesk*

I just did another search and found this page. It's not looking good...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/947627#answer-399562

So if anyone else out there is having this problem, it's not you!
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

25th January 2013, 16:15
I'd been having a problem with something and your post made me wonder if it might be Java-related. I just checked my plug-ins and found this message:

Java Plugin 6 updates 31 through 38 (click-to-play), Windows has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?
The Java plugin is causing significant security problems. All users are strongly recommended to keep the plugin disabled unless necessary.
Who is affected?
All users who have these versions of the plugin installed in Firefox 17 and above.
What does this mean?

The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

kilowatt

25th January 2013, 19:16
I have heard that the security problems with Java have been fixed in Java7 . 11
4 of 4  -   Report This Post