CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

25th January 2013, 10:55
Leysdown would be the "resort" on Sheppey (when we visited, it was shut).
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

tippy

25th January 2013, 11:03
Are you Pastiche in disguise?...Another question from the current great fun quiz...WHY???
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th January 2013, 11:24
tigerpussycats, One of my grandfathers was a cockney and in post 3, it is one of those, but not Hayling or canvey. Try googling the other two and one of them will give you the answer.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

pinkpercy

25th January 2013, 13:04
Hornchurch was known as Mud island
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th January 2013, 13:32
There is a Mud Island in Hornchurch, but this is not the one used in the cockney's language. There is a book by William Matthews which will give you the right answer :)
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

magworth

25th January 2013, 20:02
There is a Mud Pie Island in Mississippi -
hence the famous Mississippi Mud Pie - which tastes much nicer than it sounds!
I live not far from Hornchurch and has never heard of it there. mag
10 of 13  -   Report This Post

magworth

25th January 2013, 20:04
I meant Mud Island - no `pie` in the name. M.
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th January 2013, 20:40
This is probably the Mud Island to which pinkpercy is referring: (however it's not a seaside resort so is not the one needed as the answer in the quiz)

Quote: "In the late 19th century attempts were made to develop industry on Hornchurch marshes. The Rock Portland Cement Co., Mud Island, was formed 1880, later becoming the Rainham Portland Cement Co. During the 1890s there was also a chemical factory on Mud Island, owned by H. Button & Co."
12 of 13  -   Report This Post

magworth

26th January 2013, 08:16
That`s very interesting, Jazzgirl. Those marshes must be what is now called Rainham Marshes. It`s a nature reserve now where you can see rare birds and plants. I`m not local to here so didn`t know that history. I have friends who`ve been here all their lives, I must ask them about Mud Island. mags.
13 of 13  -   Report This Post