CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

15th January 2013, 10:35
Good morning friends. Hoprfully today's will be a bit easier. Enjoy! We're going for a drive in the mountains today, so I'll be late coming on this evening

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT) to allow others to have a go.

1. England and US lay abandoned long ago in Scotland (4,4,4)

2. Successful speculators may just toss a coin (5-8)

3. Ancient Syrian box has two Egyptian leaders carrying it (7)

4. Inappropriate sound coming from a fish? (3,2,5)

5. He works along US lines in tail coat? (10)

REM! BT are doing some kind of job on my local broadband (ADSL? Ari) line. This is their message/

On 15-Jan-13, we’ll be upgrading your local phone exchange. That means you’ll get a stronger, more reliable broadband connection. (It might make it a bit faster, too.)
What will happen on the day?

At some point before 6pm, we’ll switch off your broadband and phone for a few minutes. They should restart again automatically when we’ve finished the upgrade. But if they don’t, just turn your BT Home Hub off and on again. If you’re not using your BT Home Hub or BT supplied hub-router at the moment, we recommend you reconnect it to get the best out of your broadband. It’ll also help us fix problems if any crop up.
When will the upgrade be finished?

Although the technical stuff will all happen on 15-Jan-13, your line will need some time to settle down. That’ll take up to ten days. Your broadband might slow down or even stop now and again. But don’t worry, that’s normal.

The best thing to do is leave your BT Home Hub on and use your broadband as much as you like. Then your line should settle fairly quickly.

1 of 47  -   Report This Post

tony

15th January 2013, 11:58
Hi Jolan.

Hope you had a nice day out.

I'm stuck on one clue and will return later to
check the answer.
2 of 47  -   Report This Post

tony

15th January 2013, 12:10
Doh! As always happens, as soon as I had posted I saw my last solution.

Another set of excellent clues Jolan.
3 of 47  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th January 2013, 12:18
So you're off touring in your popemobile today, John XX. Just checking in, and will need a few minutes to catch up with that showoff tony (no, I don't have them all yet).
Is a broadband like the orchestra in Some Like It Hot?
4 of 47  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th January 2013, 13:53
Back from running errands, but have to go out again! I hate having to do these while driving. Only sure of three of my answers so far; must try to channel tony through car antenna...
5 of 47  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

15th January 2013, 14:10
Just checking in to say I've written them down and off to see if my brain is still working.
Ari, love your broadband joke ;)
6 of 47  -   Report This Post

tony

15th January 2013, 14:16
Hi Ari

I bet one of the answers you've got is No 5
which was my last one (being a Brit!)
7 of 47  -   Report This Post

andyc

15th January 2013, 14:37
Can't wait to see these answers!! One definite, two highly speculative the rest blank so far.
8 of 47  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th January 2013, 14:44
Back for a sec. Actually, 5 is the one I don't have! It's a problem with Americanisms; Americans often aren't aware that their expressions are peculiar.
9 of 47  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

15th January 2013, 14:48
One definite (#4) one highly dodgy (#5)
10 of 47  -   Report This Post