CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redundantelf

14th January 2013, 13:04
Only got 3 (I think)

1.Boatman ARGONAUT...groan! Awful, ought to be reported!(8)

2.Bonxie AUKS...not brilliant and on reflection, for the birds(4)

7.A celebrated artist still working for all to enjoy, often transporting us...flipping marvellous!(9) ARAUCARIA
31 of 51  -   Report This Post

pastille

14th January 2013, 13:09
A wind up...without a warm up???

I must pay attention more....welcome back....
32 of 51  -   Report This Post

peterm

14th January 2013, 13:15
I've got allowable for 6, but otherwise the same as jazzgirl.
33 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th January 2013, 13:21
I wasn't sure of "apostle" until I read up on a certain chapter, and found "mean" and "crafty"
34 of 51  -   Report This Post

ixion

14th January 2013, 13:28
Thanks for having a go everyone, my brief explanations as follows...

Boatman...groan! Awful, ought to be reported!(8) argonaut
anag(awful) of groan + aut(sounds like ought)

Bonxie...not brilliant and on reflection, for the birds(4) auks
bonxie=great skua, drop the great(brilliant) and reverse

Tramp...that English eccentric(taking the pith perhaps), best keep him here(2,4,6) at arm's length
Complex anag...trampthatenglish-pith

Shed...a graduate(first)in science, easy!(7) abscise
a-BSC-ise(first, in science easy)

Enigmatist...at times in good form?(7) anagram
enigmatist is an anagram “of at times in g”

Paul...occasionally mean and crafty, but within the rules(9) allowable
paul occasionally..AL-low-able

A celebrated artist still working for all to enjoy, often transporting us...flipping marvellous!(9) araucaria
A/celebrated artist(Royal Acedemicians must be still working professionally)=RA/forall to enjoy=U(niversal)/often transporting us=CAR/marvellous(first class)=A1, flipped(reversed)=IA
35 of 51  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th January 2013, 13:30
No keeping up with you mean Greenwich-Timers. Same as Miss Jazz here except for allowable.
36 of 51  -   Report This Post

andyc

14th January 2013, 13:30
Thank you Ixion, I'm afraid I only got three of them.....I must sharpen up for "B".
37 of 51  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th January 2013, 13:36
...especially peterm, now that he's armed with a SmartPhone. Good one, ixie, by which I of course mean LIVE on reflection.
38 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th January 2013, 13:36
I was completely led astray by Paul. I looked up one of his (the apostle) teachings and he described himself as being "mean" and also "crafty"!
At first I did have "allowable" but could not parse it, so changed it. Must try to do better next time.
39 of 51  -   Report This Post

ixion

14th January 2013, 13:37
and the "link"...

Anyhow, like Jock Tamson's bairns(and Biggles bits?), finally becoming, all...(3,4) the same

As usual an anag of the last letters of the numbered clues(loosely indicated by "finally becoming"..

Anyhow=all the same
like Jock Tamson's bairns (we're) all the same

...and Biggles bits? - as per the Guardian theme Biggles is a collective of the four(WE) Johns {Occasional crosswords appearing under the pseudonym of Biggles are produced jointly by four regular Guardian compilers, all with the forename John: John Graham (Araucaria), John Halpern (Paul), John Henderson (Enigmatist) and John Young (Shed)}
40 of 51  -   Report This Post