CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eccles45

13th January 2013, 12:55
When you are completely stuck on a clue and seek help here, which do you prefer

1) The answer

2) A hint
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw

13th January 2013, 13:39
Dependson how stuck I am and how far into the crossword, although if I post a question I'm normally that stuck that even the most obvious clue would go straight over my head!
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

mary6

13th January 2013, 14:30
Likewise. And if I do only want a hint, I say so.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th January 2013, 14:37
That was my point exactly when I was reprimanded on a previous thread for giving an answer.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

mary6

13th January 2013, 14:52
That seems harsh - as a relative newbie to the forum I remember reading other posts to see how the forum worked, and then phrased my question accordingly.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw

13th January 2013, 15:04
If someone does not specify then the assumption would be that an answer was requested, I would think.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

eccles45

13th January 2013, 17:16
I see what you all mean. It's just that I first learnt how to do crosswords by my mum and/or nan never telling me an answer, just supplying hints.

When somebody asks for help, giving their crossing letters, and one (or more) of those crossing letters is wrong, isn't it better just to say that letter whatever is wrong ?
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

harrhy

13th January 2013, 17:22
When somebody asks for help, giving their crossing letters, and one (or more) of those crossing letters is wrong, isn't it better just to say that letter whatever is wrong ?

If we don't have the crossword we can't tell whether the crossing letters are wrong. We can only guess.
If you ask for hints you should get hints otherwise expect answers (if you're lucky)
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th January 2013, 17:46
If you can work out the answer from the clue you know which crossing letters are wrong.
I think we are agreed though that there is a choice between hints or answers.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

roddy

13th January 2013, 17:51
If I only want a hint I would say so.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post