CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barrycat

12th January 2013, 15:05
The Daily Record £500 crossword is now £200. Cutbacks everywhere.
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

drumbeat

12th January 2013, 18:07
Hi barrycat. I hadn't noticed that the Daily Record £500 crossword is now only £200 until I read your posting!! I don't recall seeing anything mentioned in the paper last Saturday and I haven't seen anything in this week's either.

Last April when 2nd class postage went up from 36 pence to 45 pence, I e-mailed the Daily Record to ask if it would be possible to post all the Saturday grids for any given month at the end of that month....i.e using 12 stamps per annum rather than 52 as at present. This would have benefited all 'crossers' during the current recession (and cut down handling at their end) but I was told that all prize money had to be paid out within 28 days for legal reasons, so posting once per month was not an option....aye right!

The D.R. is only intent on saving themselves money in the current recession but when it comes to cutting costs for their readers, they're simply not interested!

Of course the £200 prize money listed in today's edition may just be a typo!
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

drumbeat

12th January 2013, 18:08
Oops that should have read...when 2nd class postage went up from 36 pence to 50 pence!!
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

barrycat

13th January 2013, 15:17
Hi drumbeat. Just saw your reply. Don't think it's a typo. The Sunday Mail today says there will be no more runners-up for the main paper crossword.
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

drumbeat

14th January 2013, 16:57
Hi Barrycat,

I e-mailed the Daily Record 'features'editor on Saturday afternoon, saying..."In this week's 'Saturday' magazine the Big Crossword prize is printed as being £200.....is this a typo which should have read £500 as in all previous editions OR is the Daily Record strapped for cash ?"

So far I've not had a reply!
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

barrycat

14th January 2013, 17:30
Hi drumbeat. I think tomorrow's crossword in the DR is down from £200 to £100. Not too sure though. Not surprised you haven't heard back from them.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post