CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lostintranslation

11th January 2013, 10:56
By looking at today's Guardian puzzle, it seems the dear old man (and one of my favourite setters) is not doing too well.
1 of 37  -   Report This Post

leapy

11th January 2013, 11:03
My most favourite compiler, lets hope for a good solution!
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th January 2013, 13:37
For all those who have come to love the man over the years, it's worth reading the comments today on "fifteen squared". For me, quite simply the best ever setter. And in fact he's still busy setting. Long may that continue.
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

11th January 2013, 13:49
Sad news.
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th January 2013, 16:11
Has anyone else noticed btw that in one of his best puzzles last year (according to the pundits), namely Guardian Cryptic 25,597 (March 30th), the only sign of the zodiac omitted in its ominous Latin form was "Cancer"? As far as I can see this was not commented on at the time (possibly for reasons of tact) -- whether it was known at the time or not, surely a frightening aspect in retrospect.In any case must have a crack at it now: reputedly not one of his easier ones, apparently!
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th January 2013, 16:37
............I now see it's not the only sign not named in Latin, but perhaps no coincidence nevertheless?
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

livs

11th January 2013, 17:46
Oh no! I've loved his crosswords for so many years.

Thank you, Araucaria. Sending you love and good wishes. Get well soon.
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

livs

11th January 2013, 17:53
(Am I being silly? I looked up 13,15A on wikipedia and it says it's for all stages of the disease. If it's possible at all for him to get better, well, don't we all wish for that?)
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

jws

11th January 2013, 18:04
Even with his problem Araucaria produces another gem of a crossword published today in the Guardian. he is simply the best. get well soon
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

rosalind

11th January 2013, 18:26
I regret to say that terminal oseophageal cancer is just that. I do know 2 men who were given terminal diagnoses many, many years ago and are still alive and well, but not with that particular cancer. Also they were not 90 +
I looked at the "announcement" crossword. What a courageous man.
10 of 37  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Araucaria