CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

leon

7th January 2013, 20:18
I have a complete grid,can anyone confirm the correct (misprint) letters.
I have CLUPEARUFAG, which don't make much sense apart from the word 'pear',any help appreciated
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

les40

7th January 2013, 22:09
Hi Leon,

I haven't done the crossword but have read the preamble. Do you already know what A & B are, if so, could the letters be an anagram of an explanation of the spurious work of A and the concern for B because those letters can make many anagrams including
'A careful pug' and 'Gaul farce up'

Or am I on the complete wrong bus with this one
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

leon

7th January 2013, 22:26
dont think so, the words indicated in the preamble are,
1=binominal
A=linnaeus
B=newton
36=pyrus malus
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

chips

7th January 2013, 22:44
I haven't done this crossword, but had a thought - I think clupea rufa is some sort of fish, and the 'g' could be referring to Newton.
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th January 2013, 22:48
The fish's Linnaean name, eh?
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

les40

7th January 2013, 22:49
I've no idea Leon.

Your idea looks good Chips

Here is the preanble for you Chips, I've screen printed it for you to have a look.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18643289/Listener.pdf
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

chips

7th January 2013, 22:53
Thnks, leon - I think my musings might not be too daft! Having read the preamble, g/gravity definitely was a concern for Newton. I still have no idea what to do with the fish part,
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

leon

7th January 2013, 23:11
many thanks les40,chips and aristophanes, I can now see 'herring' in the grid ,will finish it off tomorrow,thanks again for all your help
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

pam

9th January 2013, 11:08
I don't think it fair on setters to broadcast answers to current puzzles as Leon has done. The contributors to AnswerBank are by and large more disciplined.
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

9th January 2013, 11:33
Why not? - this is a Crossword help Forum - if users don't want answers, then don't look. I know the "listener" is the elite puzzle, but we should be encouraging people with it, not putting them off, and if they can get a little help on here then so be it.

The same could be said about any crosswords. Solvers come on here ( and answerbank) for help from those more experienced and nearly always learn from their answers particularly if they are explained.There are very few people just in it for the prizes.
10 of 27  -   Report This Post