CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

theambler

29th December 2012, 00:23
Thanks Ario for your kind review of this seminal work by Thomas Mann! I am glad I didn't get Buddenbrooks! By the way Thomas Mann turns out to have been rather interesting in his own right!!! Will let you know how I get on!! (Forgot to mention I also got the Twilight of the Gods! Heaven help me. Have found 2 good bits so far!)Kind regards and a very Happy New Year. Thea
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th December 2012, 00:26
'scuse me for butting in. Thea. I had to read Buddenbrooks as a set book once- still remember the dentist. The more the family fortunes declined, the worse the treatments got. aaargh!
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th December 2012, 01:13
I once immersed myself in German literature and I have an extensive German library, but to tell you the truth I never really enjoyed it, at least not the way I enjoy English and American literature- even Goethe, though I like his travel writing. And re Buddenbrooks, Rosalind, I couldn't finish it; I just didn't care what happened to them. OK, OK, you can call me an insensitive yahoo.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th December 2012, 10:21
Wouldn't dream of it, aristo.
Didn't finish the book either, so I couldn't take the A level English exam. Oh dear. what a shame.
I was doing the course (by distance learning) for fun, anyway.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

theambler

29th December 2012, 15:15
Hi Ario Hi Rosalind
Thanks for your texts
Yes German literature is a bit convoluted, gloomy and angstitche!!!!!
Have tried a bit of Goethe (who seems to have been quite lively and naughty) -- his poems as per Schubert leider go down well.
Nietche ,well, Niet.
Buddenbrooks--- I was quite surprised to find they were a family not a country house.
"The Magic Mountain (Zauberberge) is also to hefty for me.
So will get cracking on Death in Venice and avoid the strawberries at the end. (Actually fond memories of Venice ( on the Lido) where Thomas wrote most of the book.!!!

All the very best to you all for the days ahead esp 2013
THEA
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

theambler

29th December 2012, 16:22
H Ario
Just seen some Plowable snow shortly to arrive. Hope its not too troublesome
Thea
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th December 2012, 21:18
So you watch the New England weather reports, THEA? Yes, just got home from my mother-in-law's on the south coast of Rhode Island and had to pry my fingers off the steering wheel. We passed a car that had spun around and crashed into the Jersey barrier. Time to build a nice little fire and crank up the snow blower...
7 of 7  -   Report This Post