CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gharbij ihn

13th December 2012, 18:59
11a. 'Go by boat around the top of Caithness and disperse in the Western Isles' (5). I've got S-A-L, and and assume the answer is 'SCAIL', but I can't find any such Western Isle, nor any relevant references, Gaelic or otherwise. Can anyone help? Are you still there, Bullfrog?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th December 2012, 19:04

gharbij ihn

13th December 2012, 20:08
Chrise. Thanks so much; there was I being clever and trying the Beginner's Gaelic dictionary, and looking up 'scail' on Google Search to no real avail, whereas Collins (and, I now concede, Chambers) could have shown me the way - but you've pointed me in the right direction! Much appreciated.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th December 2012, 20:11
You are very welcome.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

duckb

14th December 2012, 11:53
So glad someone else is still working on this crossword. I too was "all at sea" on 11a - and couldn't find any reference to scail. So thanks,
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

duckb

14th December 2012, 12:02
Sorry. Should have added there that I'm also lost on 17d ... is it really X-M---S for "players in cricket team [can see it will probably be XI] given two different directions [?compass points]- what a puzzler". My ref sources are very short on words beginning with X.!!
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th December 2012, 12:19
XIMENES - classic crossword compiler.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

brackendale

14th December 2012, 15:57
Players in a cricket team are "eleven men" which is XI MEN. The two directions are E(ast) and S(outh). Altogether gives XIMENES.

"Ximenes" was the pseudonym of Derrick Somerset Macnutt (1902 - 1971) who compiled crosswords for The Observer newspaper. The last Ximenes crossword appeared in 1972.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

duckb

14th December 2012, 16:41
Well, well ....! Thanks Chrise and Brackendale for informaton I'd never have found anywhere but on the forum!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post