CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

robinp

27th November 2012, 19:16
Anyone do this? A real stinker today. Think the first word is SQUINT but may be wrong.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

janink

27th November 2012, 23:23
I can't even get off the ground on this one! I think you're right with SQUINT, but notice that the letter N does not appear (unless I'm going blind) anywhere else in the puzzle! That's highly unusual. Let's hope someone has managed a start and will post it.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

27th November 2012, 23:45
Which letters are definite?
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

janink

28th November 2012, 11:39
Rassim, the definite letters are 21=N, 22=I, 23=U. I *think* (big leap of faith here) that 1=S, 3=E, 5=T, 19=Q. That's as much as I've got. I'll have to go buy a paper today to get the rest of the answers. It's really a tough one. All my puzzle-solving strategies have not worked on this one.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

ceemac

28th November 2012, 15:17
Hi I'm new on this forum, but not to codeword. Janink if you're interested - some strategies for codeword. Look for the most frequently occuring number; it's likely to be E. Would expect 12 or 13 in a puzzle this size, but they do try to trick you, like today when there are only 7 Es. Look for recurring sets of numbers - today 1,2 and 5 at the end of two words, likely to be ING. Hope that's a useful start.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

janink

28th November 2012, 22:27
Thanks Ceemac. I can usually get the E with the same method you said and generally don't have too much trouble with the rest of it. This one, however, is especially difficult! I ended up waiting for the answers in today's Times2.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

robinp

28th November 2012, 22:37
Hi Janink

I managed it eventually without having to send a text for the clues, which are usually the letters I've already got. When there's only two leters to start with it is especially difficult but three is not so bad.

Cheers

Robin
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

magworth

29th November 2012, 08:12
The Radio Times codeword sometimes has only one `e` !!
I look for doubles. If they are at the end of a word they are usually `s`, `f` or `l`; in the centre they are likely to be `e` or `o`.
I suppose you know all this, anyway!
Mags.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post