CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ian

4th December 2008, 11:40
Still stuck on just four answers - any help much appreciated!
1) Yield to mob half-heartedly, with off-putting possibilities? -e-e-r---e
2) Unconcealed implication one rejected. o-e-t I presume this is \"overt\", but I can\'t quite see why.
3) Wine unknown outside gangster country. i-a-y
Again, can't quite see this one . Is it "Italy" - if so, why?
4) Seeing monkey, explorer has change of heart.
c-l---s Completely foxed by this one!

All help very much appreciated.
Thanks.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

sarah

4th December 2008, 11:52
Your last one could be Colobus - type of monkey, Explorer Columbus - changed middle section.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

sarah

4th December 2008, 12:03
I agree that Italy is the answer - AL capone is the ganster, Y is the unknown quantity and possibly IT refers to vermouth which was sometimes mixed with gin to form a gin and it. Very convoluted but possible, maybe.

I thought the first one might be deference but it doesn't fit and I can't see any mob connections!
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th December 2008, 12:09
I think "Yield to mob half-heartedly, with off-putting possibilities" is DEFERRABLE (yield=defer and mob=rabble)
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th December 2008, 12:20
I agree with you "Unconcealed implication one rejected" is OVERT as, I think, overtone can mean implication.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

ian

4th December 2008, 12:26
Thanks to Sarah and JimC - much appreciated help!
Now I've only got the last one left - still can't see why it should be "overt" (other than the "unconcealed" definition - but the rest of the reasoning escapes me!
Many thanks.
Ian.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

ian

4th December 2008, 12:30
Thanks JimC! Your response to "overt" arrived just after I posted my first response a few minutes ago....
Now complete.
Thanks to you all.
Ian.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post