CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cantersue

13th November 2012, 18:29
Thanks Jazzgirl. Was looking for a cold "chill" and had got a wrong letter in 21a. All correct now.
28 of 46  -   Report This Post

wally

13th November 2012, 19:14
Re post 12 Yes Chrise. Sorry! The first 5 letters of the answer is/are one of the chess (or draughts) players.
29 of 46  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

14th November 2012, 16:34
Good evening folks. Well I didn't get to start this one until this afternoon and I have found it tricky. I too was determined that number or numbers was in 9d, didn't think much of 4d and was very surprised at the answer, and now I am stuck on the dreaded 6d - in spite of all the hints! I shall probably spend the evening running it through my head. I loved solving 1d. Cold here now - have the log fire burning away, so at least that makes us cheery and cosy.
30 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th November 2012, 16:44
Hi angelmcm
Are you asking for another hint?
31 of 46  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

14th November 2012, 17:40
chrise, not yet, I don't think. I shall let myself be driven mad tonight, then probably come begging tomorrow!
32 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th November 2012, 17:43
OK - good luck!
33 of 46  -   Report This Post

magworth

14th November 2012, 20:13
Hi angelmcm. The `the foreign` part of the clue should be right up your street!
Unlike you, I`ve had Spring weather here - daffodil shoots 8ins high, bees in the fuschia and the postman in short sleeves. As they say...`We`ll pay for it later`........
34 of 46  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

14th November 2012, 23:59
chrise, magworth, I did eventually get it. I turned to my husband and asked "Can you think of another word for chill, as in relax?" Oh!
35 of 46  -   Report This Post

genehunt

15th November 2012, 11:21
Hi torvic,
Only really had problem with 13d.
I spent a long time on 13d, because I was convinced that my 14a answer was correct, after checking the spelling, then that old monster - that I'd not thought of at the time - reared its ugly head, I checked the spelling again, and there was the gremlin, "variant spelling"! we'll have to watch out for that one in future!
Interesting how the ones that look easy to me are such a problem with others and vice versa!
36 of 46  -   Report This Post

genehunt

15th November 2012, 11:45
Hi magworth,
After making a comment about how some answers that seem easy are a struggle to others, I saw that the same thought occurred to you, no doubt an obvious outcome I suppose, when you consider what a mixed bag we xword addicts are!
I was OK with flower for river, as with "of course" for race track, it crops up in the telegraph cryptic xwords.
Conversely, I wasted a bit of time on 20a, trying to fit the letter R for "right" - another sly one - till I turned to the wife who doesn't do cryptic clues, and she gave me the answer by seeing the last 3 words in context, then she went on to give me 15 down, again by reading the first 2 words literally, whilst I had been trying to second guess the compiler as referring slily to the letter C (country leader) as they do.
Two lessons I have learned...1. Don't try to be too clever on the cryptics. 2. LISTEN to the wife who "doesn't do cryptic stuff"!
By the way what a sad old g*t I'm getting, joining a crossword help forum!
37 of 46  -   Report This Post