CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

10th November 2012, 13:04
I know it's a cheek, but I need an explanation, please.
I'm watching the doubles tennis, waiting for the rugby to start, and I've just seen a game at deuce settled with one point, served to the advantage court (i.e. not two points). Have the rules been changed without anyone telling me?
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

ab

10th November 2012, 13:16
From Wikipedia- "A popular alternative to advantage scoring is "no-advantage" (or "no-ad") scoring, developed by James Van Alen in order to shorten match playing time. No-advantage scoring is a scoring method in which the first player to reach four points wins the game. No-ad scoring eliminates the requirement that a player must win by two points. Therefore, if the game is tied at deuce, the next player to win a point wins the game. This method of scoring is used in most professional doubles matches."
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th November 2012, 13:20
Thanks very much, AB. I have never come across this before in all my years of playing and watching the game (though not very much recently). Is the deciding point always played to the advantage court, do you know?
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th November 2012, 13:24
Could you explain that in three words or fewer, AB? This new long-winded style of yours is a bit disconcerting.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

magworth

10th November 2012, 13:33
What puzzles me is.......Andy M was beaten by Djokavic; now he`s in the semi-finals. How?
Mags.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th November 2012, 13:36
I think they started in two "pools" - Murray came second in his pool.
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

bernie

10th November 2012, 13:37
The first stage is "round robin", not knockout. The top two of each group go through to the semi finals.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

magworth

10th November 2012, 13:43
Ah, that`s it. Thank you. I was glad to see Andy was still in. Mags.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th November 2012, 13:46
Now they seem to be playing another tie-break instead of a third set!
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

rossim

10th November 2012, 13:51
It avoids the 70/68 scenario! I've also seen tournaments where the tie-break goes to 10 instead of 7.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post