CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drvirgil

30th October 2012, 22:32
LOTS of cold solving on this one! I have 27 answers so far but am in no position to start attempting the grid fill. Need a few more 8 & 9 letter answers. Any clues on:
Popular series omitting buffoon once working as a domestic (House/home something?)
Take loan, once arranged, in bleak process (can't get 'operation' out of my mind, but don't think it's correct)
Echoing, high pressure, noisy swoosh goes with neon gas (is it 'p???ing'?)
Preparation for Andalusian horse is beginning to look like a watery mess (shambles?)
Force likely to be recognised
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

leon

31st October 2012, 00:09
in service (omitting)
olecranon (bleak)
phosgene (swoosh)
sloshier (andalusian)
viscount (likely) clued by wordplay only
words removed in brackets
hope you didn't want just hints
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

31st October 2012, 08:22
Many thanks Leon...now have bruised forehead from banging it against my keyboard for 'in service'!!
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

leon

31st October 2012, 10:25
popular(in)series(ser)buffoon(vice 2 in chambers)
=in service, see service 1 in chambers
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

31st October 2012, 13:33
Many thanks Leon, but I was banging my head at my own stupidity! Having spent a significant proportion of time thinking about phrases beginning 'in-', I somehow alighted on 'House' as being a) a popular series and b) alphabetically close to the answer to the previous clue. Perhaps I should start watching Downton Abbey with Mrs V!!
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

listeneraddict

1st November 2012, 17:54
I wonder if I could make a plea to you not to reveal answers to Listener crossword clues on this forum? There is a regular Listener discussion thread on Answerbank and an unwritten code of conduct there that explicit answers are not given away - however, there are plenty of people there who will willingly help outand encourage newcomers by giving hints or by helping out in more detail by private e-mail. Setting Listener crosswords is a labour of love for the setters and attempting the Listener crossword on a weekly basis is a challenge, and can be an addiction, and it does rather ruin the fun for everybody if answers are published on a public forum.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

1st November 2012, 18:17
ListenerAddict - mea culpa and I appreciate everything you say. I am relatively new to Listeners and, as I'm sure you can remember from when you started, it can seem a very impenetrable world out there. Although I was very grateful to leon for the help, I did only ask for clues. Apologies.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

leon

1st November 2012, 19:51
unwritten code of conduct, whats that all about,this is a crossword help forum,I ask for help sometimes and help others if I can, maybe I should have only given just hints but so what its only a crossword,if you don't like it don't look
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

unclued

2nd November 2012, 21:21
I am 100% behind what you say Leon. I am fairly new to the Listener and find it very hard. Surely newcomers can be given answers to a few clues for encouragement and also to the endings which are often the most difficult bits. I have really appreciated the guidance given by friends on this site and I hope that continues.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd November 2012, 21:56
The reality is that you really can't stop questions along the lines of 'what is the answer to...'. Or answers to such questions. If you choose to read posts headed ' listener 0000 ' then the chances are you know there may be answers given.

Although I am not hugely fond of the answer-sharing on this site , it is a lot less dull than the backslapping 'I've done it' 'me too' on answerbank.

So I'd entirely agree that there cannot be a moral code of conduct. These are crosswords. Moral codes will be broken. Dull but true.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post