CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

25th October 2012, 22:06
Need the precise parsing for:-

Invalid new uni students shirk touring North Dakota - NULL AND VOID (invalid) I can see UNI and LL 'Students' and ND 'North Dakota' but there's still a few letters unaccounted for..
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

jamoza

25th October 2012, 22:14
Seems to be a boob in the clue to me. You are left with AVOD when you should be left with AVOID (SHIRK). Unless I'm going totally down the wrong track, of course!
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th October 2012, 22:18
looks like, new uni, = N U.??
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th October 2012, 22:19
Yeah thanks Jamoza, I think you're reasoning is right, there does seem to be an 'I' too many (or too few).
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th October 2012, 22:21
I think that't it Trevor, cheers.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

jamoza

25th October 2012, 22:24
If 'new uni' is solved by NU then I would be looking for another compiler's crossword to solve!
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th October 2012, 22:32
New is quite often used to mean N, rather than being the more obvious anagram indicator.
U for University is also not uncommon?
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

jamoza

25th October 2012, 22:39
Appreciate your point Trevor but can't see why NEW being represented as N is acceptable - surely things are heading in the wrong direction?
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th October 2012, 22:59
i have come across N = New before but never really questioned it, offhand i can only think of Countries or States that abbr' it,
NZ or NY for example, hopefully there are better examples.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

25th October 2012, 23:22
God, in the form of Chamber's, says "N" can stand for "New", but with a capital, which would seem to bear out the geographical use (although there's New Testament for instance too of course). Must say I've met it many times but this clue seems pretty weak anyway:"U" for university (no capital in Ch.!) seems to be just as weak.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » DM Thur.