CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chips

20th October 2012, 13:27
1 A. Pattern seldom changes - that's not special (8) ??a?t?e?
25 A. How to change doctor (7)
??su???
NB. There are single-letter misprints in the definitions in some clues in this puzzle.
Thanks for any assistance.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

barista

20th October 2012, 14:02
Chips - those are two of the entries that you have to fiddle with before entry into the grid. The extra letters in other clues give you a famous song which is the instruction.

The answers to the clues youre struggling with have many fewer letters than the final grid entries. My advice would be to park them until you've worked out what the overall theme is - that's what I did anyway!
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

20th October 2012, 14:03
Good lord i've been wracking my brains over these -- thanks barrista
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

chips

20th October 2012, 14:09
Thanks - the preamble was so long, I had't got as far as deciphering it all yet. Will move on to what I hope are normal clues.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

barista

20th October 2012, 14:13
Ironically the clues themselves (to the 2 you're struggling with) are normal - if they gave you the 'proper' number of letters to the answers (ie before you fiddle with them) you'd see them both in a flash - both common words.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

chips

20th October 2012, 14:15
Barista, thanks again - think I'll keep trying with those two for a bit.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

chips

20th October 2012, 14:56
Barista, can I just ask - are the answers which have been modified all real words?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

barista

20th October 2012, 17:21
No. If it helps, one letter in each 'theme' word is replaced with a sequence of letters. The sequence is in each case a real word, and 'of a kind'. The same letter is in each case replaced. The pound sign in the middle is a huge clue.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

chips

20th October 2012, 18:22
Thanks, barista - I realised earlier that they wouldn't be real words and have just about finished.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post