CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

13th October 2012, 18:44
I'm really struggling with this. It's themed, involves no clue numbers - and there are 'extra single letters yielded by the wordplay, in all clues.'
Fluid fixture of NE Spain advanced gas (6)
e?????
Heady elixir and cocaine involved in expulsion (6) e?????

Thanks for any help of any kind.
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

13th October 2012, 18:48
Second one - exilic - anagram of elixir and C for cocaine minus the spare letter R
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

13th October 2012, 18:49
Thanks - greatly appreciated.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

barista

13th October 2012, 22:01
Ethyne.

The penny's just dopped on this one for me. At last - this was tough Not yet sure how to carry out the replacement required by the extra letters. Thinking time...
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

barista

13th October 2012, 22:11
Okay got what I have to do. Haven't yet found what I do it to...
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

13th October 2012, 22:13
Barista, thanks. I ground to a halt with this, having solved only half of the clues. It all seemed v complicated - was it worth it?
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

barista

13th October 2012, 22:24
Still not complete - I know what sort of words I'm looking for in the final grid and exactly what to replace them with when I find them - but I can't find them!

The jigsaw is a bit gimmicky I think on this one (contrast the inq a few weeks ago with acrobats and the like) but worth persevering with. The key to the jigsaw element is the top left corner - there 's only 1 possibility for the 4 letter, 7 letter and 9 letter entries up there.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

13th October 2012, 22:33
Barista, I might persevere.
In the top left, I have the answers to...
Perpetrator of...
Live with a fundamentalist...
After one game...
It'd be great to know if this was correct.
PS. I really enjoyed the jigsaw/acrobat one.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

barista

14th October 2012, 07:47
That's right.

If it makes it easier, the author (in the shaded squares) reads from left to right and top to bottom (so his name begins with the first letter of the answer to 'Perpetrator of...') - once you have the author, the identity of the 2 characters falls into place.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

14th October 2012, 12:28
Thanks again, barista - it's who I thought it was!
10 of 15  -   Report This Post