CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

8th October 2012, 22:54
Here it is, please feel free to comment on any question marks or plaudits alike.

Thanks for putting this file together AB.

Les40

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18643289/October%20JE%20solution%20and%20wordplay.pdf
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th October 2012, 23:53
Many thanks, Les & AB. ChrisE was interpreting me very generously: I didn't get those three! Congratulations to you, Chris, for getting them all!
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th October 2012, 01:53
They keep getting tougher. Lots of stars, about 15, but top three: 23A, 44A, & 24D.

Minor quibbles: 38A, clue must have been amended, as wordplay doesn't quite match.
34D would read better as "Carmen got cross ..." instead of "is".

Well done, everyone, and thanks to Les & AB for all the work.

Cartoon:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858730/nature%20vacuum.jpg

3 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th October 2012, 07:40
Also many thanks to les and ab for producing this - best one so far, I thought.

Favourite was 27dn - should have been obvious, but it took me ages to see it. Also 44a (the one I butchered!)

I struggled with 35a because I had never heard of the sportswear company, and the original Olympic competitors competed in the nude!

A minor quibble on ab's brilliant 24d (Chambers fault, not his) - inorganic chemistry includes the chemsitry of carbon dioxide and the carbonates, so not quite ALL inorganic compounds do not contain carbon.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

9th October 2012, 09:18
very good clues once again---well done Les and thanks.

@ab
Just found typo in definitions to my clue 42dn the answer was hereto not hetero which was the wordplay.
Also as syzagy has just said i think u must have had the first word play and definition and not the amended one---do not know whether u wish to amend. Cheers
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th October 2012, 09:25
Hi bobs mum
I was just about to admit that on more careful reading of the answers I had got 42dn wrong, putting "hereto" instead of "hetero" - honest!
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

9th October 2012, 09:31
hi chrise,

Lol -- but looking at the grid it did not matter as the placement of the letters did not interfere with the down clues the e e and o being the correct letters for the across clues.

R u doing today's telegraph cryptic? if so, have u answered 6dn?
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th October 2012, 09:33
No - the Guardian is my choice of crossword. Very good one today.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th October 2012, 09:44
chrise- when I was doing 35 ac I only had the P and the A , so I googled ALPHA and "sportswear" and then KAPPA and "sportswear".
Guess what- there are sportswear companies with both names!
Doh
I like 24 ac even though I didn't get it.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

ab

9th October 2012, 09:55
Re posts 5 and 6 The typo was mine.
Les got it right in both his solution grid and forwarded notes. Apologies.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post