CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

emrach

29th September 2012, 22:37
Hi there I know its late but after your post on peer review thought I would try a clue for exponetial- in prep for Monday - failed miserably no matter how hard I tried to understand I failed - don't even know what a natural logarithm is !!!
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th September 2012, 07:14
Hi emrach
Bit of a rush - out to golf (if the course is open!). Speak to you later.
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th September 2012, 14:30
Hi emrach
Back from (miserable) golf!
I'm sure you know that a logarithm is the power you have to raise a base to in order to get a number - for instance, 100 is 10^2 (where ^ means "to the power of"), so the log of 100 to base 10 is 2.

If you try to use logs in calculus (differentiation and integration), they "naturally" have a base of 2.718.....; this is called "e"

btw one of the weirdest equations in maths is
e^(i times pi) = -1
(where i is the (imaginary) square root of -1) - this equation links three of the most important and strangest numbers in maths
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

emrach

30th September 2012, 14:57
Hi
Golf not up to par then ? sorry about that. Now you have explained I do remember logarithms. Tried looking up the formula to find the 3 strangest numbers and found this site - even more confused. And I thought Cryptic crosswords were mind-boggling.

http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/questionCorner/epii.html

4 of 5  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th September 2012, 14:59
Thanks emrach - though it was probably simpler before reading that!
5 of 5  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » To ChrisE